1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B18c5 Valvetrain

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by preluderjs, Jan 22, 2003.

1. preluderjs

preluderjs Senior Member

I'm interested in trying to get a b18c5 and eventually modifying the internals. I'm looking at Toda and Skunk 2 parts and I am leaning towards Toda. I live in california and my question is, does anyone know how these parts would do in this hell hole's strict emission testing procedures? And if i can legally run the Toda or Skunk 2 camshafts (w/ necessary parts), what is the highest level I can run as far as Skunk 2 stage 2's or Toda spec b's? Any input wanted because I have no idea about the answer to these questions. Thanx.

2. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Unless it went through recently, the Skunk2 cams are not CARB approved. I have no idea about the Todas.

3. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Isn't the better question, How the hell would they know what cams you're running? :D

4. preluderjs

preluderjs Senior Member

True, thats a good question, I wouldn't be worried about passing the visual inspection. I'm worried about how much crap is going to be coming out of the tailpipes. :lol: Lol, I didn't really think anyone would have really informative answers from experience but I don't know where else to ask. If you know anything though, help me out. Thanx

5. lsvtec

The SKunk2 Stage 1 and 2 cams do not change the low lobe much if at all, so if I were to take my car with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams to get an emmisions test where I used to lve they would see no difference between those cams and stock cams. Because in CO ( here in Las Cruces there are no emissions laws :p ) they don't rev your car past 3500-4000 so no VTEC. If they rev your car all the way out in CA then they will notice a difference. I am not sure how much. If they don't then you should be fine.

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

they wont go past 4K at any of the smog places i've been to

7. lsvtec

Then there is no way they would know if you are running Skunk2 Stage 1 or 2.

8. preluderjs

preluderjs Senior Member

Cool, thats good stuff to hear, thanx for the info.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted