B20 engine in a 92 LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ACE4DOOR

I am thinking of putting a CRV(146hp&133tq) engine in a 92 4door lx(2319lbs), possibly turbo or vtec head down the line. Question is with a stock b20 with basic mods like cold air intake, headers, exhaust, and some slight tunning, how would my car be on the streets compared to other B series engines, also what 1/4 mile time do you think I would run. My driving skills is crazy. Would this swap be a waste of money. Please help.

depending on the trans you decide to use, your car will feel just like a car with 146 hp- that is to say, your car is going to feel just like any other car with the same gear ratios and those hp and torque figures-

and guessing accurately at quarter mile times is like trying to get pussy in a gay bar- it's impossible

I may be doing a lot of out of town driving, so I was thinking of using an LS transmission, but I think it may be a little sluggish. Do you think the GSR tranny will rev too high at freeway speeds on B20.

yeah it'll feel a big sluggish- the ratios in the gsr tranny certainly would be helpful for around town acceleration, but your highway mpg will suffer a bit- we're only talking a difference of about ~500 RPM at 70 mph (https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29365)

it's up to you as to what you want out of the car- but the 1st through 4th gear ratios of the GSR trans, coupled with it's final drive ratio will result in a more spirited feeling to your motor- besides the fact that the LS trans is notoriously weak, which shouldn't matter much if you're just applying bolt ons- but if you make the switch to boost, you might have some problems

I know it would slightly affect the mpg, but would it affect engine life to be between 3500 & 4500 rpms for long periods of time, also would it possibly over heat.

overheating won't be a problem- hypothetically, engine life could be affected, but it would probably mean problems at 200k miles instead of 250k- if you're diligent with your oil changes you shouldn't have a problem-

:withstupid:

if it was my decision ... i would get the GSR tranny all day ... and try to get one with an LSD

Back