b20 swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpaceCadet

Hi, Im new to imports and wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages to putting a b20 in my 89 hatch apposed to an ls. I have read all the threads pertaning to b20's and have come to think that they are no better that an ls except for a bigger bore. Like I said I am relativly new to imports ( my last car was a 63 chevy 2 with a small block mopar) and new to ecu's also. Im justtrying to get a fairly fast car with good looks and fairly good gas. Also where can I find a good deal on a b20 conversion.

Thanks,
SpaceCadet

good: 84mm bore = 2.0L.
bad: shitty head. shitty header. arugably shitty sleeves.

but all the bads also apply to the LS, except for the shitty sleeves.

I would say get a 1st gen b16a, gives your hatch some power with relatively good gas mileage. I believe you can get a 1st gen for cheaper compared to a b20 + tranny.

I know but I want a little more power that that. See my Nova had 425 plus horse with some get up and go, I want the same amount of get up and go as my nova but alot less fuel. :unsure:

Get the B20 and a vtec B16A head and do a CRVtec. With header, exhaust, and intake people have been dynoing about 200hp to the wheels. A friend of mine threw a B20 with GSR head and 11:1's in his hatch and went 12.5@108 no nitrous on slicks and Type R tranny with LSD. He dyno'ed about 235whp and still had a GSR intake. Pretty impressive. He took me for a ride and when he bangs second gear the car just continues to blow the tires off and head for the curb. Fun! Can't wait to tune my turbo CRVtec hatch. AEM EMS is on the way.

Back