B20 w/ GSR Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teufel

Ok since I haven't ordered an engine yet. I have been thinking of doing a B20/vtec conversion. I know I will go with a GSR tranny but don't know which head I should go with ITR or GSR. I will be boosting this engine and I hear on the B18C swaps that if you boost you want to go with a GSR head to lower compression does this apply to the B20 also? In the end I want to be boosting about 14psi.

Any feedback? Ordering the block tonight found it for 750 shipped. Gonna get the tranny from a guy here at a pretty decent price. So the only thing I am left with is the head.

if your going all motor, then go with the ITR head, that is the exact set up my buddy has and his is running in the 13s on the street with the stock crv block and an SIR intake mani-(which is fucking him over). But if you are going to go boost then the GSR is the better choice.

Darin

i plan to boost an ls, and my tranny of choice is a gsr. but you could also get an ls (a little better on gas mileage, and not much worse in acceleration)

b16a2 is a good head for this combo, probably a little easier to come across as well.

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Nov 14 2003, 01:31 PM
b16a2 is a good head for this combo, probably a little easier to come across as well.

:werd:

a GSR head will raise compression a little as compared to the b16.

Sometimes you guys/gals are soooo helpful.... just makes me want to
leghump.jpg
all of you!

ok fine, honestly it's not really going to matter, their isn't a better head for boost applications, assuming if your going to be making all your power uptop the B16 head does flow a small amount more than the GSr head but the GSr head will flow a little, and I mean minimal down low.

As far as compression is concerned, the GSR head will raise compression by .2 since it has wedged combustion chambers, and just cause you lower compression doens't mean you can run crazy psi. There are lots of pretty high compression cars running high boost, I am talking in the 10.5:1 range with over 20psi. But people mention the lower compression since it is more user friendly and since you have a street car it would make more sense.

Tuning has a lot to do with it also, that is in my opinion one of the most important aspects of the car, it's just not bolting shit up, dumping fuel and boosting high.

no i was being honest lol i wasnt being a smart ass about it.

you answered me when you said any vtec head would do.. and others said that the b16 would be easier to come by soooo i was just being kinda funny didnt mean for it to be taken the wrong way.

lighten up bro :p

And yes its all about tuning. FMI is the most overlooked of all. Will probably stick to getting the GSR head. But there will be lots of tuning before I boost higher than 8psi.

Back