1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B20

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Sergey P.A., Mar 12, 2004.

1. Sergey P.A.

Sergey P.A. Senior Member

ok, I have a GSR right, and what I want is to buy a B20z block, and swap the blocks,

do you guys think it's worth it, everybody says that B18c blocks are the best ones,

what you guys you think I should do,

if I am gonna do it, it will be a B20 block with everything else GSR, should I spend my money (which I don't have right now "my future money") on B20 block, or should I just get a strong ITR set up like ITR pistons ITR cams and springs,

2. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

The B20 bottom end is not worth it unless you build it. It'll give you low 9's for compression and without a remapped ECU, you'll probably run lean. Not worth it IMO. Sell your GSR tranny and use that money and the money you would have spent on the B20 block and buy a JDM ITR tranny w/ 4.785 final drive. You'll have lots of fun with that.

3. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

why buy a near top of the line teg(performance wise) only to swap out the motor? if you wanna do something like that, sell the gsr and buy an ls/rs/whatever..

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

If you're going to swap it, at least change the pistons out to something more aggressive than the stock pistons, then transfer the GSR girdle over to the B20 as well.

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

No, doubt.

6. jwn7

jwn7 Member

yeah, i agree with everything that's been said thus far. also, i would much rather have a gsr block sleeved to 2.0 (or more ;) ) than a shitty b20 block. it would only cost you about $200-400 more, and you'll still have decent compression, strong as hell sleeves, the block girdle, and oil squirters. :) where as the b20 gives you low compression, weak sleeves, and neither the block girlde or oil jets. <_<

7. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

So you are all saying B20VTEC which is what he's wanting to do is pointless. Yes, change pistons to something with at least 10:1 Compression, get stronger rods sucha s Eagle or what have you, then bearings, and gaskets, get a b20 headgasket (2 layer to raise compression a little), put it together run a hondata intake manifold gasket, an ICEMAN CAIAN-R Exhuast header, thermal R&D Classic exhuast.

Or go BOOST, the B20Z has a compression ratio of 9:1 or so, you cna safely run 8-10 pounds on all stock internals, I believe. have fun, do what ever you want though.

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

you can go with b20vtec if it is more convenient or cheaper. but since most people end up resleeving the b20 block, it is easier and cheaper to just keep the b18 block and have it resleeved/rebored later.

9. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

Keep in mind that the oil squirters are not for lubrication, they are for cooling. Forged pistons deal with heat much better than the stock cast ones. If you are replacing the pistons with forged ones, then the need for squirters is not as necissary.

Block girdle is a cheap investment as well.

10. Sergey P.A.

11. Sergey P.A.

dohch22a4 wouldnt be the same if I would swap the final drive gear set,

12. Sergey P.A.

would swapping the final gear make it a Type R tranny, or it would be just eassier to go JDM ITR whole tranny,

13. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Well, I'm pretty sure their gearings are slightly different, along with the final gear ratio. But the biggest difference is the viscous limited slip differential that comes with the ITR.

14. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Really? Most people use the B20 as it is without a sleeve job...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted