B20avtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civvy

If I build a really tough bottom end using the intechangable parts from other B series engines and forged pistons, can I put a Vtec head on my B20a1?

Its the 2nd generation Lude i've got! its in very good condition and its the lightest of them all, so it is a good car for a good project!

Im sure someone did it with the B20a5 from the 3rd gen. and they use the same integrals as the B20a1!

Civvy

Temple of VTEC:

The B20A has a bore and stroke of 81x95 mm. The bore is the same on the B16A&B, B18C1&5 which is all the B series Motors with VTEC. So theoretically it should work but I don't really know. You need oil to activate the VTEC, I don't know if it's as easy to do as the LS (B18B) (81x89?) 2.0 liter VTEC instead of 1.8 and more low end torque, works for me.

ive read somewhere the head bolts dont line up. someone had a kit; but it was too much work and not much people wanted it.

Ludespeed had a conversion kit to put a B16A head on a B20A block, but he doesn't sell it anymore (hasn't for about 3 years), and I'm not even sure if his site is up either. You might want to search for it on Google.

I don't even know how big the power gains would really be with that setup...if you find a way to do the conversion, post up the #'s. I'd be interested in seeing them.

Had an idea! because of all the torque, how about i turbo it (getting peak power at about 3500rpm and limit the vtec to 7000rpm???

Thus, reducing bottom end failure due to overeving?

boosting it is a better idea that putting the head on...

but good luck finding a manifold

Apparently they are prone to overheating too, I know I have seen two on post here smoking like Cheech.

O.K. I forget the V-TEC issues!

It seems less than cost effective! If i can only rev it the same as what i can by putting in a pair of higher duration cams then there's no point!

I am now thinking of the Turbo route! If I turbo (increase the torque) i dont want to decrease the torque by increasing the cam duration?

Also if i'm on the right tracks there! what else shouldn't i do to the head (resulting in torque loss)? i.e. Flowbenching and big valve conversion.

Lastly (if i was quite right above) which, then is going to be the best results? going Turbo or a maxed out N/A?

You can have a very effective turbo setup on the stock head!

Most Honda engines do very well on stock cams under boost!

If you want to save cost, leave the engine completely stock and then bolt up the turbo!

Your best results for the money would be to go with a turbo system!

Maxed out N/A is great for a good number of applications, but for all out power a turbo is the way to go!

!

!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can enlarge the hole on the B16A head and bolt it on. I fergot what was the size of the drill bit used.

Just need a custom head gasket and for the oil passage. It's already there so you don't have to mess with tapping the head or anything like that. No oil kits needed.

Back