B20b Frankenstein! Reliable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asdf

Hey guys, im about to buy a 99 GSR with a B20B block/b18 head in it. Im dont know alot about honda engines so i was wondering why a person would wanto do this swap? And is this a reliable swap... Im not planning on racing it out hard core, just alot of susp. mods, but i wanna keep it for a while, daily driven, will this be reliable??? its a brand new engine, its got like 14k on it... plus the GSR car itself only has 13500. Let me know what you think..>! thanks!

it's as reliable as they built it.

calesta ( a member on this board) had his b20/vtec for 40K before he fucked it up on a driver error.
find out EVERYTHING that you can about the engine... pistons/rods/cams etc

Find out who built it and if you are SERIOUS, ask to buy a new head gasket and pull the head b/c crvtec's are notorious for sleeves cracking between 2nd/3rd wall b/c of the stress some ppl put on them.

Everything on the engine is STOCK, he doesnt even have an intake on it. Exact same B20B block w/ NO internal mods or anything. With a b18 Vtec head.

How much do head gaskets run???

That setup sucks. It's very likely that at high rpms you could have piston to valve interferance. The b20 pistons arent good for high revs either. The bottom ends aren't built for 7600rpm either. Id put an LS head or different pistons in that setup to make it closer to a reliable setup. I'd give it less than 20k miles in the current setup with any rough driving.

Head sets for the B series run about $300 the gasket alone is about 160

the b20 block is very torquey, which means some good low end power, add a vtec head to it and you also have top end power..i am looking to do this swap into my CRX.

Back