B20b Stock Installed For $3300 Good?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

celliott81

I have a 94 civic EX 5MT, my D16Z6 is one it's last leg. I found a place in Dallas to do the B20B swap for $3300. That includes, engine, tranny (my choice), axles, shift linkage, and all other necessary parts to get it running. The motor is said to JDM and have only about 15,000 miles on it.

Is this a good deal or am I getting screwed? Anything I should look for on the engine to help me identify what I'm getting.

Thanks

Usually swap shops charge 1000 for labor. So assuming that your getting a complete motor for 2300, I would ask them about a GSR motor, considering you can pick you own tranny. Tranny prices vary a good amount. From hydro ls which is 400-500 to ITR units 1300. It seems like a fair swap price. What are you planning to do later down the road with this B20z

Milan

At Intercrew in Richardson. I plan to keep it all motor, but i'd love to have more torque. I have a running D16Z6 that he is going to also keep in exchange for the install. That just doesn't sound right to me. Is that how all swaps are performed??

Calesta...
How long have you had your B20vtec and how does Intercrew treate you after the swap?

I believe I can pick any tranny, so far I am leaning toward the GSR (I don't think the ITR unit is included, but I'll ask)

I am also planning to add a new clutch assembly and lightened flywheel during the project for an additional $660.

If you go onto the honda hybrid page there is a write up about the guys swapping in a B20z and what their initial thoughts were on it. Me personally since your going all motor would go with the GSR. The b20 has a good amont of tq but the GSR isn't far behind it but it is way ahead of it in the hp area up top. LS tranny blows for all motor, I don't even like the GSR gearing personally, I always stick with SiR/R gearing.

Milan

Originally posted by celliott81@Jun 16 2003, 07:32 AM
At Intercrew in Richardson. I plan to keep it all motor, but i'd love to have more torque. I have a running D16Z6 that he is going to also keep in exchange for the install. That just doesn't sound right to me. Is that how all swaps are performed??

Calesta...
How long have you had your B20vtec and how does Intercrew treate you after the swap?

I believe I can pick any tranny, so far I am leaning toward the GSR (I don't think the ITR unit is included, but I'll ask)

He kept my old engine- I had no problem with that. I'm sure he would let you keep it if you want- talk to him about it. The Z6 is actually worth a little something, so he might be using it as part of your payment. No more than a few hundred dollars though. Most people leave their old engines behind for the simple reason that they don't want to haul them. I would have kept my stocker if I had a way to carry it and store it, but it wasn't worth it.

I on the other hand wouldn't mind buying the head from you when you pull the D16Z6. I need basically everything from the head gasket up.

I had the B20/VTEC for 45k miles and around 15 months before I did something stupid and blew it up. The engine build was VERY solid, and ran VERY strong.

As far as customer service- Intercrew treated me VERY well after the swap. I still go there every few days... hell, my car is still on a lift there waiting on a few parts to be finished up. Customer service there is top notch. Phillip never forgets who you are, and doesn't blow you off after the swap like Jotech and some other shops in the DFW area do. Let's just say that I consider every dollar I spent at Intercrew worth the time that I spent making it. I've been going to Intercrew for 2 years now, and I've always been satisfied.

The ITR transmission most likely isn't included in your standard swap price because it's a more expensive unit, plus it has an LSD in it. I had to pay a little extra for mine (it's really a JDM SiR2, but functionally the same as the USDM ITR), but it was worth the cash. I would recommend a GSR transmission for running just a JDM B20B. The gearing is pretty good for the amount of torque that the engine has, and when you upgrade the head (if you upgrade), the gears will be spaced very nicely for your power curve.

Well, I just decided to pass on the project because of financial reasons. I have a few other things I need to pay for right now (ie school and a wedding soon).

Thanks for all the advice!

Calesta-
I will definitely try Intercrew again next summer. Phillip has treated me well.

Originally posted by celliott81@Jun 16 2003, 05:09 PM
Well, I just decided to pass on the project because of financial reasons. I have a few other things I need to pay for right now (ie school and a wedding soon).

Thanks for all the advice!

Calesta-
I will definitely try Intercrew again next summer. Phillip has treated me well.

Awwwwwwww man. Well Chris- I was talking to Phillip today, and he said that tomorrow is your last chance to get the swap done at that price. He misquoted you, but he was willing to honor it. Next summer is still a good time to do a swap though.

:)

Originally posted by celliott81@Jun 15 2003, 09:56 PM
I have a 94 civic EX 5MT, my D16Z6 is one it's last leg. I found a place in Dallas to do the B20B swap for $3300. That includes, engine, tranny (my choice), axles, shift linkage, and all other necessary parts to get it running. The motor is said to JDM and have only about 15,000 miles on it.

Is this a good deal or am I getting screwed? Anything I should look for on the engine to help me identify what I'm getting.

Thanks

i wish i could get a b20 swap for $3300. i'm considering one and the shop here wants about $4300.

I did my own JDM b20b swap with the LS transmission(92 civic lx). I wasn't disappointed with it at all. Fifth was a tad tall for highway response, but the car was my commuter and averaged 32mpg. You will be amazed at how that "big block" pulls from a dead stop. No lag, no bog, just sweet pull right out of the hole. It remided me of my buddies contour svt. My 94 gsr seemed much slower out of the hole, (less torque and 350lbs more weight), but of course the Dohc Vtec pulls way harder after 6k. For the money, unless you have specific plans to build the motor and know you have the money and time, I'd recommend the LS tranny as long as the car is a daily driver. JMHO

I would go a little shorter with a GSR tranny on the B20z along with changing out that shitty as intake manny, also known as the giraffe.

Milan

Back