Back Fire

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Hey I just swapped in my h22 in my accord... and it for some reason backfires on accelaration and wont let me accelerate fast... without backfiring!! I changed the belt water pump and installed ajd cam gears... and installed a new flywheel!! I was just thinking could this be timing or are there more possablitys???? There are no codes being thrown! thanks

do you have a cat on it ????
what ECU are you running it with ... have you gotten any A/F ratio numbers???

backfireing usually means your running way too rich ... or you dont have a cat ... or the cat is fucked ... or a combo of those

When u set the timing on an H22, u use the marking on the flywheel as a timing reference. I wouldn't bet my life on it but I'm guessing your timing is off. Double check that and verify your firing order. These symptoms with no codes are usually signs of timing or fuel problems. Double check your distributor cap also to make sure there isn't any cracks. Good luck.

Originally posted by Accordturbo94@Jun 26 2003, 03:20 AM
Alrighty here we go:: This is what I did!! I did the timing Now as for a cat.... nope im not running one!

theres your reason

Alrighty here we go:: This is what I did!! I did the timing belt and cam gears and put them on top dead center and the whole nine yards! And aligned with the timing marks... I believe i was less than a tooth off on the cam gears!! When i did the tranny I took of the old flywheel and put on the Fidenza Alum.. Now i dont know but is there a wrong way to do that?? (meaning when just installing the flywheel it has to be aligned in a certain spot??) i didnt think so so i just bolted it on what i believe looked like the only way it could go... and than my clutch and so on and so forth! yes thats aligned for sure!! Now as for a cat.... nope im not running one! and Im almost postive i have the wires in the right spot!! I double checked with my helms and chilton manuals!

Also I am running the p13 ecu!! I act have two h22 around and the first ecu threw a map sensor code so i swapped in my other p13 ecu and no codes where shown!

WOW.... I really hope i dont sound like a TOOL! Thanks for the help everyone!

Alrighty fair enough I guess Ill put mine back on! lol i thought not having one only gave u power! But i guess Its not a big deal it sounds like ass without it... not even standable loud! thanks

the cat has a mesh in it that heats up when exhaust gas passes through it .... this red-hot mesh burns up the unburnt fuel before it escapes into the air... not having the cat allows heated fuel vapor to contact the air and with the added oxygen it rapidly combusts resulting in the popping sound of a backfire

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 26 2003, 02:26 AM
the cat has a mesh in it that heats up when exhaust gas passes through it .... this red-hot mesh burns up the unburnt fuel before it escapes into the air... not having the cat allows heated fuel vapor to contact the air and with the added oxygen it rapidly combusts resulting in the popping sound of a backfire

thanks, i was wonderin' 'bout that :) .

And you lose a lot of power from not having one?? And it it going to make a diffrence that my o2 sensor would now be in front of the cat?? Im talking I have no acceleration at all and it just likes to backfire!

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 26 2003, 02:26 AM

I hate to go against u on this one, but I'm running a straight pipe on an LS/VTEC and it purrs smooth as stock. The reality of a cat is the catalyst particle inside is suppose to trap and transform harmful gas into emission legal level. With the added catalyst, it also add back pressure; too much or too little is no good. He mentioned "no acceleration" and that's a result of no back pressure, but u have to consider the pipe diameter he's using; remember too big cause weak acceleration and too small can cause abnormal heating and engine failure in due time. Not having a cat will throw a fuel or O2 code because your ECU doesn't know how to compensate for that kind of fluctuation in air/fuel mixture basically speaking. I would suggest going ahead and install your stock exhaust system and see how it perform. If it runs okay, then u have to reconsider your piping size if u want to go no cat. My.02

Originally posted by 1_deuceracing@Jun 26 2003, 02:31 PM
He mentioned "no acceleration" and that's a result of no back pressure, but u have to consider the pipe diameter he's using; remember too big cause weak acceleration and too small can cause abnormal heating and engine failure in due time....
...Not having a cat will throw a fuel or O2 code because your ECU doesn't know how to compensate for that kind of fluctuation in air/fuel mixture basically speaking.

The first part of that seems like a gross exaggeration. While having no cat may slightly boost or hinder performance, in no way will it cause gross amounts of power loss or gain like he's talking about. Same with a large pipe diameter.

And the second part is only true if you're running an OBD2 car, which he is not. OBD1 cars don't have a post-cat O2 sensor, or ANY post-cat sensor for that matter.

Originally posted by 1_deuceracing@Jun 26 2003, 05:31 PM
The reality of a cat is the catalyst particle inside is suppose to trap and transform harmful gas into emission legal level.

and what do you think that is???

take apart a cat sometime... you will see a metal "mesh" (looking straight at it it looks like really small graph paper grids)... when the exhaust gasses pass through this "mesh" the mesh heats up to the point it turns bright red... at that temperature the "harmful gases" (unburnt fuel) are incinerated... this lowers the emission levels
the only transformation of gasses going on is them burning more thoroughly

i made no comment on HP or any thing related to the vehicles performance... i simply stated that a car running without a cat is more likely to backfire due to the unburnt fuel that is reaching the air

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 26 2003, 05:19 PM

and what do you think that is???

take apart a cat sometime... you will see a metal "mesh" (looking straight at it it looks like really small graph paper grids)...

Actually, I have taken quite a few cats off myself and hollowed the "CATALYSTS" out of the converter housing. "MESH" is a description of what the actual catalysts inside the converter housing looks like not the actual name for it. On the other hand, you are correct on what it does and how it function. But reading from the original problem post, Accordturbo94 did mentioned that it wouldn't allow him to accelerate (as in no-power) without backfiring. Your final conclusion to his problem was "there's your reason" for not having a cat. ONLY. I firmly don't believe that not having one could cause such hesitation or no power and that's why I said a converter did what it's suppose to do. Bottom line is we all understand what a catalytic converter is and its basic function; whether or not he has one on will unlikely solve his problem of major hesitation. I believe that his problem still lies with the timing, sparks (cap and rotor), and or fuel system. Hell if anything, his problem sounds like he's running with a clogged converter to begin with. Since he doesn't have one, he needs to check and double check the aforementioned systems thouroughly. My .02 :sleep:

Back