Bad eprom chip?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Red Civic LS-T

I had the hatch out on Saturday night, when it suddenly decided to stop running. When I turn the key, the fuel pump doesn't kick on at all. So, of course my first thought was that the fuel pump or main relay had gone bad. When replacing the main relay didn't fix the problem, I decided to jump the service connector and pull the check engine codes. With the connector jumped and the key turned on, the CEL just stays on solid. When I removed the piece of wire from the service connector, the CEL still stays on solid. When the ECU is unplugged the CEL goes away.

The fact that the CEL just stays on solid with the key on (regardless if the service connector is jumped or not) leads me to believe that either the ECU or the eprom chip inside it has gone bad. My setup is: 92 Civic w/ MT, JDM B18B swap, custom turbo setup, socketed P28 ECU tuned on crome.

Does anyone know what could be going on here? Should I have the eprom chip tested to see if it is bad? Can eprom's or ECU's just suddenly crap out while driving?

do you have an ostrich? if so, throw your map on that and plug it into the ecu and see what happens.

ecu code 0 = shot ecu, but it could be the chip. check that its seated correctly, and that no solders have broken.

Check the ECU and backup fuse in the engine bay fuse block. Shorted injector wiring will blow the ECU fuse and cause the ECU to not power up correctly.

so will a shorted o2 wiring.....

ask me how i know......... lol

Checked the ECU and backup fuses and they are both fine. So I guess I'll ask the shop that tuned my car to burn me another chip and see if that fixes anything. Hopefully they have my tune saved on their hard drive somewhere...

Yesterday, I swapped the eprom chip in my socketed P28 for another chip and turned the key to "on." Fuel pump still doesn't kick on and I still have a solid CEL whether the service connector is jumped or not. So I figuired the ECU itself must be bad. I swapped in the ECU that came with my B18 swap (which worked fine when I removed it from my Civic) and had the same result...no fuel pump, solid CEL.

What else could be causing these symptoms?

Well both EPROM chips coul;d be bad, the ECU could be bad, or there could be a wiring fault. The Honda service manual has a very easy to follow flow chart for diagnosing and repairing a code 0 fault.

Back