bad mileage and poor performance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustninty20

It's a 92 DX hatch with a D16z6\auto swap with a stock p28. This swap has only been in the car for about a month and I have been working out the kinks, this looks like the last one. On a full tank of gas I'm only getting somewhere between 200-240 miles, I also noticed that at highways speeds I usually have to hit passing gear just to climb hills, think these issues are related, not sure this is my first auto civic and I have heard they are slow as hell. It has a new timing belt, water pump, wires, plugs, fuel filter, cat converter. I'm outta ideas and looking for some new ones. Some things I have noticed because maybe it will help is, I also noticed that the dizzy is completely turned counterclockwise, which I think means 2 advanced, maybe, possibly, not sure.
I'm not throwing any CEL's at all. After the swap there were two map sensor connections, one of the FW one on the harness, I used the one on the FW. Thx for any advice.

If your distributor is rotated all the way to the end there's probably something wrong with the timing.. or the timing belt may be off a tooth. Have you checked the timing after you put the swap in? And make sure to jump the service connector in the passenger side kick panel area or the timing setting will be wrong.

I'm trying to take a look at the timing but I can't figure out the marks on the balancer. I'm not seeing any marks (red or white) line up with the pointer on the timing belt plastic cover. While trying to do this I am jumpering the connector under the glove box, I think its a brown and a green wire, but I have been jumping those two when I try to set timing. I also noticed that when I bring the timing back down (turn clockwise, lean out) even just alittle the car starts to hesitate and run really bad. What am I doing wrong while checking this timing? Also if the belt jumped a tooth, how can I figure that out/fix it? Thanks for the help.

Alright so I finally ended up using white paint so I could see the timing mark. I got the timing set and the car is actually running worse. But I guess this might take care of the running rich , gas eating problem. Any other ideas on what the hesitation problem might be?

Try setting your crank to TDC, 0 degrees on the timing cover, and pull off your upper timing cover to see if the cam gear is also at TDC. There should be a small mark on each side of the cam gear that line up horizontally with the head. If all that is lined up correctly then we can assume your timing is correct. Also, do you have any codes stored in the ECU?

I dont see any markings on the lower timing cover, dont know if they are rubbed off or what. Is there another way to set the crank to TDC?

Not without pulling the lower cover off.. there's a mark on the timing belt gear/oil pump. How were you able to set the timing without having a reference mark on the timing cover?

There is a pointer on the upper plastic timing belt cover, that I used to set timing. I pulled off the upper cover and I saw the three marks and the "UP" marking on the cam gear and the plastic pointer that shows TDC for that gear. I did not see any markings to line up the crank to TDC. I will try to give it another look in the morning when I have more light, because I'm not trying to take that lower cover off if I dont have to. PITA

I finally got some time to look at the car, set crank to TDC and saw that the cam was one timing belt tooth off. After fixing the performance is a lot better, dont know about the poor gas mileage issue. I'm assuming the timing belt being one tooth off was also screwing my mileage as well.

I'm sure you'll get much better mileage as well.. if you still think something is not right keep this post updated and I'll try to help.

Alright the car is still running perfect without any problems but the mileage is still bad. I'm only getting on average 250 miles to a full tank, easily 90% of the drive is highway. It's better then what it was but still shitty. I threw some cardboard under the car to look for gas leaks and did not see anything. I'm not smelling any harsh gas fumes from the exhaust like its running rich or throwing any CEL's.

I forgot to ask before, but you did reset your ignition timing after getting the timing belt lined up right?

Back