Bad Rings or bad valve seals???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smokey345

SwAp CrAzY
Ok guys so I bought my car to the exhaust shop today and they discovered I have oil leaking into the headers. I took the headers off and found coming out of cylinder 3 only. What could be the cause of this. Its only cylinder 3.

Does it smoke at all?

If so, does it smoke when you first start it and then it goes away or does it smoke the whole time? Smoke at start up only usually indicated valve seals.

Could be a bad Head Gasket as well..

well it only smokes at startup then goes away after I turn it on for the second time. The smoke is not really blue it is white. After the initial startup though it starts condensing from the tail pipe.

It doesen't consume any coolant. However you may be right. 'm just going to do a leakdown test. What are the acceptable leakdown compression for each cylinder

Compression should be within 5 psi of eachother for a healthy motor. I think 10psi is the acceptable limit.

do a compression test and write down the compression of each cylinder. squirt a little oil in each cylinder, then do the compression test again. If the compression improves slightly, its probably your rings, but if it still sucks then its your top end.

its the rings for sure. I had it on my car and when i went to replace head gasket oil was on cylinder wall all sluggish GOOD LUCK!;)

Are you sure its the rings because I'm finding oil in every exhaust port now and it does seem kind of weird. However I don't think oil goes up. If anything it only goes down so how could it be leaking from the exhaust ports.

do a leakdown test and see where it is leaking! good luck and post results to see in spec with my all data info;)

Ok Blanco Mr high and mighty honda swap king relax a little bit. I understand do a leakdown test I also understand you are grumpy. Nex time you want to yell on the forum. Think to yourself and ask, "Why should I? Is it really neccesary?" Cuz Blanco if you know soo much and have sooo much experience you would be able to tell me whether it is valve seals or piston rings by the things I describe. I know many mechanics that know what the problem is but going on the forum reassures me since yall suppose to know soooo much. THANKS ;) Oh and 1988hondacrxsiR1 your a good sport I like that you try and help me out and not spaz on the forum. Trust and believe I will get the data back to you with the leakdown test and the outcome of the replaced valve seals on Sep. 14, 07

THIS IS THE F**KING NOOB
5y96g05.jpg

and try this too
jump.gif

try researching and take our advice man:mad:

Last edited:
why dont you try to check each GASKET you prob can find a cracked gasket?

Ok it was defintely the piston rings guys. Thus I changed out the pistons for some pr3's with new pistons However I got a question when I did the fourth piston I put the old piston rod cap on it and the cranks spins. However when I did the first piston and torqued it down to spec with the old cap. The crank becomes almost impossible to move unless a good amount of force is put on it. HELP ME OUT

I figured out the problem. Lets see how much better it runs with the PR3 Pistons.

Back