Balance and Blueprint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Hello, I am working on a build up of my B18C, and am looking for a road course setup. I'm thinking it will be best at this point to go all motor, especially when my wallet comes into play...
What I have now is this motor setup:

JDM B18C, B16A2 head, B16A2 Tranny
Stock bottom end
AEM SRI, Greddy 4-2-1 Header 5-Zigen Cat-Back
AEM fuel pressure regulator (From when I hooked up nitrus for a week)
And Some CTR Cams that I have yet to put in.

Now, what I am thinking, since this will be streetable, is that I will put in 11.0:1 JE Pistons, and Eagle rods, but while I am in the motor, I will get the crank strengthened somehow (micro polish, bead blasted, or shot peened, not sure) and the rest of the rotating balanced and strengthened the same. Now the pistons may be switched for ITR Pistons, which with my setup would be about 11.1:1, but they would be balanced and strengthened the same.

What do you guys think of this setup? Any pointers, or helpful hints would be appreciated, and any suggestions that don't pretain to the N/A road course setup probably won't be helpful.

Thanks,

Ian

Bump??? I know you guys have opinions on this stuff... Do you guys think this thing would stand up to a few laps around the track?

I think you could up the compression to around 12.5:1 to 13:1 and be safe running on pump gas. Get a good tune of course. Get an LSD for the trans if you have one without. The JDM 4.75 Final Drive will come in real handy for better acceleration as well.

Ya, I was debating about the tranny, as this car would be a street car too. I definitely would at least get an ITR LSD, and probably a 4.75 Final and LS 5th gear. How difficult is it to tune for 12.5 compression on 92?

I dont know myself from personal experience, i know that Calesta had a monster compression with pump gas. He would be best to step in and let ya know whats up. It shouldnt be too difficult to tune tho.

Yup. I ran 12.6:1 on 92 and 12.4:1 on 93. If you keep it in the low 12s, you can run it on the street without any problems. Some guy out in California on the D series forums is running 12.8:1 on 91 octane gas in his D16. Just get it tuned well and you'll be fine. It's not too hard if you have access to a dyno and your tuner knows what he's doing.

Back