Balance yes/no???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Well I finally found a good crank so I can get my bearings and put everything together. But first should I get everything balanced? The place that has been doing most of my work said I should get it done. It would include the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel and pully. They said they only need one set of rings. The rods and pistons are aftermarket and are much heavier than the stock. Worth it, or waste of my money?

As for worth it I can't say for certain because I chose to do it. I would go ahead and do it.

As long as everything weighs extremely close, you don't need to get it balanced. Unless you have had the crankshaft knife edged or something, but the stock crankshaft is already balanced and so are the aftermarket crankshafts unless it is stated otherwise. Inline 4 cyl motors balance themselves out. When you say remanufactured, do you mean they had to do some welding, or just ground down the journals??

Last edited:
As long as everything weighs extremely close, you don't need to get it balanced. Unless you have had the crankshaft knife edged or something, but the stock crankshaft is already balanced and so are the aftermarket crankshafts unless it is stated otherwise. Inline 4 cyl motors balance themselves out. When you say remanufactured, do you mean they had to do some welding, or just ground down the journals??

Actually, inline four engines are inherently out-of-balance, more so than most, if not all other engine configurations. V bank engine have decreased harmonics because of combustion cycles happening every 90 degrees on opposite sides of the engine, instead of every 180 degrees in a straight line (which is transversely mounted to the chassis by generally shit mounts as well).

Have your bottom end balanced. Do some homework, and know what you need to get done for this engine to last, and know what the people you give your engine to can do, have a reputation for, etc...

I heard by nature, the longitudinally mounted V6 RWD is one of the most balanced engines by design. I don't know anything about the I6 or V12 though. Makes sense when you think about it.

how are your aftermarket pistons heavier than stock? And the only thing they do when they balance the pistons and rods will be weigh them and make sure they all weigh the same on their scale. I'd get the flywheel balanced. If it is cheap insurance, just have them do it all, and make sure they give you the data sheet for what the numbers were before and after balancing.

We have scales at work that go out 5 decimal places, would it be worthwhile for me to check the weight between the pistons/rods to see if its worth getting those balanced? The crank I will do either way, have no way to check those.

The pins are already pressed in, so thier setup already. How close should they be to each other in weight would you think?

If they're already pressed on there's no way to properly balance the rods or pistons. But you can still check to see what they all weigh.

Ah ok, is that because the small differences in weight between the pistons and rods might create a little vibration? Maybe the place I'm taking it to can take them apart to balance it, they would know best.

Back