Ball Joint Won't Budge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I can't get the ball joint to come off my suspension so I can pull the axles.

Im assuming that you remove it by pulling the screw attatched to the ball part of the joint out of the hole in the LCA. I tried using a pickle fork and it won't budge and theres nothing for a crowbar to get ahold of. PLEASE HELP!!?!?!?!

\/ brake disk
_
||
||
||
||____
||.......|
||.......| < Ball joint cup
||.......|
||____| ball joint
|| |__|<---__________
|||__________LCA___.
||...|| < The bolt attactched to the ball part of joint
||
--

I am trying to sepparate the ball joint from the LCA where the "<---" is. This is correct is it not?

Again....PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanks - Kai

smack the LCA with the biggest hammer you can find about 5 times really hard but dont miss and hit the stud or you'll muck up the threads and really be pissed!!

you're welcome. have a nice day :D

Just put a nut on the end of the ball joint that's it flush with the stud. Wack away with the hammer until it come out.

Rather then putting the pickel fork around the ball joint, just put one side between the steering knuckle and the LCA. Thats how Ive always done it. Oh and you need to use a big ass hammer if its being a real bitch.

i held a propane torch on mine for like 2-3 minutes and gave it a shot with the pickel fork and it came right apart. it wouldnt come apart for nothin before i heated it. pickle forks mess up the ball joint, hope your replacing the tie rod ends. they make a ball joint puller which wont mess up the joints.
I can get my axles out with out seperating this joint. i dont really know that you have to.

well....the big ass hammer worked finally. I just hit the LCA with it as hard as I could and POP!! the mother fucker came out. Thanks for the input...now please lock this thread. :D

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA@Mar 16 2004, 05:34 PM
smack the LCA with the biggest hammer you can find about 5 times really hard but dont miss and hit the stud or you'll muck up the threads and really be pissed!!

you're welcome. have a nice day :D

told ya bro! :D

i don't know if anyones heard of this but i learned a little trick and it has surpized the hell out of me with how good its been working, you know on the lca where on the right side theres that little extra piece of metal on it, kinda looks like a weld right there, well if you smack that shit real damn hard it will pop out too, it probably wouldn't work so well with really stuck ones in there, but for normal conditions, it beats the hell out of ruining the boot with the fork

Back