Base Vehicle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pawsoff

Hello All:
I am close to getting a "new to me" car and am leaning towards a 1993 Del Sol. I have only seen this vehicle a few times and have no real experience with it. I would like to know what you think the pros and cons of this vehicle would be. Del Sol owners (past or present) your insight would be very much apprieciated. I figured: it is light, has tons of performance parts available, is not expensive to pick up (1993) and it looks good. I would have another car for the winter months. Any thoughts you may have.

the del sol is a great car .... i love mine
Bs car is very nice and well worth the asking price
buy it :D

pros:
handles great
rear window is quite possibly the coolest thing ever
removable top is sweet for those nice days
the fact that its still a hard top is great for those shitty days
greatest seats honda ever put in a car
2 seater so you dont have to cart all your loser carless or non driving friends around
it has LOTS of potential for performance upgrades

cons:
top gets noisy if you dont take care of the seals
its not as light as people seem to think it is (its still not THAT heavy though)

over all i love the del sol
definatly one of my favorite hondas (hence the reason i bought it)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 27 2003, 10:55 PM

pros:
handles great
2 seater so you dont have to cart all your loser carless or non driving friends around

cons:
its not as light as people seem to think it is (its still not THAT heavy though)

:werd: to the 13th power.

see sig

im probably keeping it though at this point...

Thanks E_SolSi for your input. I checked out B's del sol and its nice (love the color) but I am looking for more of a fixer so the price will be lower.

I would make sure that you either get a VTEC or swap the engine or youll have to get out on the interstate and kick it in the ass to get it up the hills. Nice cars though. I think the tops on most of them leak, at least mine does. Its an overall nice car though.

Originally posted by KrAzKrEg@May 28 2003, 09:36 PM
I think the tops on most of them leak, at least mine does.

93's had a major leaking problem and a little bit on the rest of the models but mine has never leaked.

Pros.
Just about everything E. Said.
Built on the 92-95 civic hatchback platform (EG) makes tons of parts work with you
They are not the same old thing. Most people dont even know that mine is a honda.
Did I mention they look bad ass.

Cons.
No exhaust systems that I want for it (when is RS*R going to make a sol catback?)
No back seat in emergencys
It is a honda so they naturally rust.
Expensive to start out because the average price is still around 4-5k for them

Thanks guys for your input. As for the price, I plan to pick one up that is a bit of a fixer (ie blown motor, some body work) so the price is lower. I think I can pick one up for not much over $2,000, I have been looking around for a few months and they do come up. I fully intended on changing the motor and tranny... unless for some reason it already had a B16 in it or LSD tranny. As for the roof leak problems, nice to know about that, I don't think it would be too hard to make it leakless.
As too the actual SIZE of the vehicle do any of you have complaints? Keeping in mind that it is a 2 person vehicle.

Well I am kinda a skinny, semi tall, guy and It fits me fine. I am 140-150 lbs, about 5'11 and I drive with the wheel tilted all the way to the bottom, seat pretty much all the way forward. My brother is 6'2, 200lbs and fits in it but basicly he has to have the seat back, wheel up ect. Hell even my auto teacher who is a fast ass red neck, 250ish 6'2ish fits in it with minamal problems, he just basicly has to lie down in it :lol: (seat all the way back, reclined with the wheel up.

I hear that if your 6'6, your probally not going to fit in this car.

Cargo room, it is pretty good. With the top off (in the trunk) I can still fit 3-4 walking golf bags with just a little work (staff bags may be a problem) Now since I have a rear strut bar, my trunk space is kinda depleted so now i can fit 3 with alot of fighting.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 27 2003, 10:55 PM

pros:
handles great

cons:

all very good points :p (my second favorite honda, first being the second gen crx's :p ;) )

except needs to add the con that they're slow as hell stock :lol:

i'm 5'3" and weigh 100 lbs so i have no problem fitting in it :lol: , but a lot of my friends are taller / bigger / etc., and i haven't heard many complaints.

as far as the year and model, i'd say to get a 95 if you still want the auxilary lights, or a 96-97 if you can part with them. the s models will naturally be cheaper and you can swap an engine in, but the si's and vtec models have disk brakes.

when i was looking into buying a sol, i was told by a guy who had worked for honda to not get a 93 or 94. they had a lot of problems with the roof and trunk leaking, as well as some various mechanical problems.

the sol also handles pretty well compared to other hondas.... with some suspension work u can be pulling a 1g on the skidpad (thats what porsche's pull)....

its also not that common, but still has alot of parts for it...
most sol owners ive met are pretty cool too...

no clue .... but maybe you should start your own thread instead of cockblocking someone elses

Back