Basic Prelude & Prelude SH headers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Will a prelude type SH header fit in a normal prelude non SH? thanks in advance

what year prelude do you have and what is the engine code? taking that if both are h23a1's yes it will fit but if one is a h22 and the other is h23 then no, unless the h23 has the h22 head swap

Well, the misinformation up there ^ is abundant.

The H23A1 wasn't produced past 96.

The H22A4 was the only engine that came in 97+ Preludes.

The SH header will bolt up to the Base (non-SH) Prelude, but it needs modification to make it work. You're better off getting the correct header for your application.

what modifications would have to be done to it? i mean its just a like putting a JDM type R header into a type R, which would fit perfectly, its just like Integra & Integra Type R, same analogy with prelude & prelude SH. wouldnt it fit perfectly? thanks for the response

I know that:

- the bolt patterns on the head line up
- the lengths of the two headers are different, so some modification is needed to the overall exhaust system

I've heard that there are clearance issues with the oil pan as well, but I can't confirm that.

There is NO difference in the headers on the base and SH models. The 97-98 headers are slightly different than the 99-01's. It refers to that argumentable question: Where did that 5 extra hp came from in the 99-01's?

If there isn't any difference, then why do all the companies that make a header for the 5th gen Ludes specifically say the SH won't fit a Base, and vice-versa?

I believe the difference in HP came from a higher redline and the associated changed fuel maps. I know the redline and fuel cut are about 400 rpm higher on the 5th gen's.

Edit: And why would the 97-98 header be different from the 99-01's? It's the exact same engine.

the sh and base header designs are different. the sh is a larger header as far as the merge collector goes because it has to clear the crossmember and the atts unit. so yes an sh header will fit ont he base. but if it were me. i'd rather have the header designed for my car.

Sorry! The SH and base headers are different. The SH is approx. 4in. longer. I do believe there is a difference in the 97-98 and 99-01 headers. I checked it out. It's an ongoing topic @ preludeonline.com. I've just heard the 99-01's are slightly better.

Back