1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery connected backwards

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by assman, Feb 22, 2004.

1. assman

assman Senior Member

what happens if the battery is connected backwards positive on ground and ground on positive
  2. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

Media:
    Well lets see, Im a technician at a hyundai dealership, and i actually worked on a car before where some genious installed a optima battery backwards as you just quesioned. Bellow is a list of what i had to fix/replace:

1. Underhood Fuses and Fuse Box
    2. Main engine harness
    3. Underdash/Cabin SRS Harness
    4. Electronic Satellite Airbag Sensors
    5. One Negative battery Cable.

Total - $2840 Plus labor

It all depends for how long you leave the battery connected that way. He apparantly left it on until everything was fried and the cable on the battery melted away. If you leave it on for a second or two you may just pop some fuses, either way, it will cause some damage.
  3. tab

tab Super Moderator

Media:

:bo: :bo: :bo:
  4. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

i have fixed a car in shop that had the same thing happen we only had to replace select wires and all the underhood fuses due to the fact the car had a battery fuse it saved alot of the car
  5. Canuck 93 Civic Si

Canuck 93 Civic Si Senior Member

You mean the car didnt just run backwards :huh: .
  6. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    When an un-named person on this site (I swear it wasn't me, but I don't want to embarass someone who is on our staff) accidentally put my battery on back wards the ground wire would just spark like crazy. We were like wtf. I then noticed that he had the battery on backwards. All that I blew was one of the 50 amp fuses. I am on too much medication right now to remember which one it was. Anyways when we went to go get the fuse from the parts store, some cockfucker hit my truck and it was only 4 weeks old.
  7. WannabeSI

WannabeSI Senior Member

a freind tried to give me a jump start once and he put the cables on backward and all it popped was my stereo fuse thank god but it sparked like crazy :lol:
  8. timEspeed

timEspeed Senior Member

I did that on my '95 civic coupe. All that went was the battery fuse. I had it hooked up for more than an hour and tried to start it at least ten times. Cost to fix: $3.80
  9. whiteLS

whiteLS Senior Member

The battery could even blow if its in backwards.
  10. onlytime

onlytime Member

i have a friend who bought a new battery but after it was hooked up , he found out that the battery was defective ( the labels for negative an all was backwards ,on the wrong side ..it was stamped wrong)
    that he had a law suit coming but nothing realy ever happend cause they wanted him to send the battery to the company so they could diagnos it ..other words they wanted to shred the evidence