Be Gentle, I'm New...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ogre

Alright, watch me go... I picked up an '89 Std. Hatch for a few bucks, and things were good. It meant I didn't have to drive a Chevy Crapalier, and I could shift through all 4 of my speeds. I've since grown tired of watching to world go by at 70 hp., and so I've started looking into swapping out that weak ass motor. I've done some research, but I still got a three-headed monster of a question...

1) So, I've got a Std Hatch, which seems to be the bastard son of swaps, meaning whatever direction I head, I'll have to swap axles, spindle and hubs, and wire up MPFI. I would love to swap in a B-series, but I also enjoy eating three meals a day, and at the moment, those two couldn't happen at the same time. So, I'm leaning towards the ZC. My question is, SOHC vs. DOHC? I'm not looking to make a monster that'll eat up V8's, but some power would be nice. This is gonna be my daily driver, so I need something semi-reliable.

2) I suppose I could wait and do the B-series. After having to swap out axles and everything else for a ZC, it wouldn't be that far away from the cost of changing over to B-series, would it? I know I get axles with the complete B-series swap from hmotorsonline.com, but how much more would I need?

3)Last, with whatever swap I end up doing, I'd like to change my cluster to an Si one, with the tach built in. How difficult would the wiring of this be and what else would I need to make it work?

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to get everything out there...

-Ogre

ok, #3 first

from my understanding you should be able to remove your gauge cluster and just plug one from a 88-91 si in and it will work...
never tried it, but thats the word i hear

i see you are on a budget, my advice for now...
do the DPFI -> MPFI swap with an SI intake manifold...
this should get you over 100 HP right off the bat...
then swap in a 5 speed SI tranny, the diffrence will be amazing

then do intake, header, and exhaust and you'll have a fun little car...

and latter on you can do a better swap when funds aren't such an issues
and you'll already be done with the MPFI

I did a b16 swap into a CRX HF and it totaled to about $3000.

$1800 - Complete Hmotors swap with LSD
$400 - Mounts and Shift Linkage
$350 - Shipping
$100 - Hubs and shit (90 teg stuff)
$250 - New rims and tires because my stock rims wouldn't fit over the larger integra brakes
$0-$500 - Replacement parts, broken shit, like water pump, timing belt, etc. **this stuff is optional but should be done.**

In the order in whcih I would do it...

1. DPFI - MPFI $300
2. 5 Speed Trans $200-350
3. Swap to DX/Si Hubs/Axles
4. All while saving for a B series, even an LS would be wicked.

The 88-89 clusters will only work on 88-89 and 90-91 will only work on 90-91

Damn you mother fuckers man handled this guys questions...............i love it :wavetowel2:

I mean in about four answers hes got every thing he needs along with two options, Puph and he thought it was going to be a trouble set of questions for you guys.

Ls's are the shit, Nah I just have a really bad obsession with them for no reason.

I argree with everyone else. I think z6's may be cheaper than the ZC though, never dealt with the d series.

If you aren't going to build the engine up go with a zc over a b18a or b. Around the smae power for a lot less $$$

Hey, good deal on the cluster. The less I improvise, the better... Seems the more I think about it, down The Path of the ZC is where I'm headed. Of the two, which would be the better motor, the SOHC or DOHC? How hard is it to get parts for a DOHC ZC?

-Ogre

instead of zc get a d16a1 outa a 89 tegra decent motor and you can get it with the harrness and tranny for 250 from most bone yards.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Oct 21 2004, 05:56 PM
instead of zc get a d16a1 outa a 89 tegra decent motor and you can get it with the harrness and tranny for 250 from most bone yards.
[post=405799]Quoted post[/post]​

However, Calesta will argue with you on how it mounts versus the ED chassis.

Don't do the d series integra engine, why have a pain in the ass to get less hp than the dohc zc. Get the dohc. I am not trying to do a d-b series war, but you could get a zc and turbo it for about the price of putting a b18 in.

just do a zc dohc or sohc it doesnt matter they both drop right in , you dont need axles or mounts, just buy a si tranny si ecu if you use the sohc and if you use the dohc buy the 89 teg ecu and drop it right in

:yes: because there is more tuning capibilites in a DOHC than an SOHC, which means that it is much better for turboing or going with nitrus.

btw, you don't need vtec anyway, it only exists to make honda's more drivable at low rpms. You can make the same power in a non-VTEC engine by adding more agressive cams.

do a d-series turbo =] lol you'll have a lot of fun, and its pretty cheap

Thanks for all the good info! I hadn't thought about it at first, but I'm pretty sure now that I'm gonna go turbo, and a boosted DOHC ZC sounds awfully good for a start. Look at me, I haven't even started a swap and I'm craving more HP...

-Ogre

Back