bearing issue?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lickety_slickjj

d16z6 t3/t4 turbo with 8 psi, i just installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, when i first start my car when it is cold, my oil pressure goes up to like 75 psi, after about 5 -10 minutes of driving my car the oil pressure drops to zero at an idle. i have the feed line ran off the back where the sending unit is and the sending unit for the gauge tee'd off of that. i just replaced the oil pump, pick up, and the oil pan with all y8 ones. my oil pressure is doing the same thing. i am not sure if it is just a faulty sending unit, or if the oil pressure is really that low. some one told me that it could be sloppy bearings, but i just rebuilt the motor with brand new bearings and seals, there is no nocking or pinging. when i rebuilt the motor, i checked all clearances with plastigauge and all was mint. any ideas? please help.

I didn't think you could check clearance with plastigauge that were that tight. . .
either way, sounds like you may have 1 of 2 problems
either your aftermarket gauge is bad/wrong
OR
your oil pump bypass is malfunctioning. (which is what keeps the oil at the correct pressure)
to test oil pressure you would have to buy the proper gauge assembly and attach it in the same spot you have the sending unit at.

(2.2L engine shown other engines are similar)

If the oil pressure warning light stays on with the engine running, check the engine oil level. If the oil level is correct:

1. Connect a tachometer.
  2. Remove the engine oil pressure switch and install an oil pressure gauge.
  3. Start the engine. Shut it off immediately if the gauge registers no oil pressure. Repair the problem before continuing.
  4. Allow the engine to reach operating temperature (fan comes on at least twice). The pressure should be:
    • Engine Oil Temperature: 176°F (80°C)
    • Engine Oil Pressure:
    • At Idle: 69 kPa (10 psi) minimum
    • At 3,000 rpm: 340 kPa (50 psi) minimum
    • If oil pressure is within specifications, replace the oil pressure switch and recheck.
    • If oil pressure is NOT within specifications, inspect the oil pump.

thank you for your help. i did check the bearing clearance with plastigauge and you measure how wide it is after it is smashed almost down to nothing. well i am going to check it with a gauge tomorrow. thanks again.

ok so i put a mechanical gauge in and it reads about the same, how do i check the pump to see if it is bad?also i think my seals in my turbo may be bad cause there is a little oil in the intercooler pipes,but not much and it doesnt smoke. but i drove about 45 minutes away and i checked the oil level and it was about a half quart low. no smoke, no leaks except the turbo, but it is not that bad?

Back