Bearings question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92hatchback

I plan on tearing into a gsr engine and replacing the rods and pistons. I know that this is a good time to replace the main bearings as well. My question is how do you check the clearances. I know that you use a plastigauge to check the clearances but do you install the bearings and then lay the stip in and torque it down or do you put it in without the bearings?

Also, I assume that this would be the same way that you would check the tolerances with the connecting rod bearings as well. I've looked on plastiguage's website and didn't really find a clear answer so anyone with experience that could help me out would be much appreciated.

If that's so, then how do you avoid spending an arm and a leg on bearings. I mean, if you buy the bearings that are supposed to go in there and you guage it and find out that one or two of them don't work then what? Do you now have to buy new bearings for those. If that is the case, then you could easily drop a lot of money on just bearings.

I just checked clearances on a USDM b16a2 short block out of a 2000 Civic Si. I put a short strip of plastigage on each position on the crank journals with the original/stock bearings in there and torqued it down to specification torque. I did not spin the crank at that time, just like the service manual said. Then I pulled the caps off and checked the fattest part of the plastigage against the included gage. It's not too hard and only took about an hour or so all together. All mine were within tolerance because the block is relatively new. Good luck with it.

Unless you have the crank cut down the bearing codes that you get from the block and the crank should get you the proper bearings on the first try.

If you don't already have a helms for that engine get one. It will tell you how to read the bearing codes.

Back