Beating A Dead Horse I Know...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

I just found out today, much to my dismay, that my rear brakes are shot. The brake cylinders are leaking, the shoes are getting ruined by the brake fluid, about the only thing good is the drum. Now the estimate I got was close to almost $400 CDN to fix it...but I figured if I can do this more economically, AND do a rear disc conversion, perhaps it might be worth my while....providing this is something I can do myself. Yes I have been to www.fourthgenhatch.com and checked out the instructions there...but I want to make sure that I have this right before I start hunting down parts...I drive a 1990 Civic HB Si

What parts EXACTLY fit my car?

I've heard a lot about having to change the emergency brake cable...so...

What cable(s) will EXACTLY fit my car?

....what else specifically would I need, I understand the tools and the procedures are laid out on the other site...but I don't want to start this and have the wrong thing and be missing something as this is my daily driver. Thank-you all for beating this dead horse again and helping me out...

Jason

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 6 2004, 08:33 PM
Stop being lazy.

I wasn't being lazy...I searched and got confused...so I asked specific questions here. I already did used the search feature and didn't get the answers that I wanted...thanks for nothing.

Anyone else? :(

Jason

99% of it will be G2 teg parts... all the rotors, spindles, etc.

i'm not sur eon the e-brake lines...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 7 2004, 07:41 PM
99% of it will be G2 teg parts... all the rotors, spindles, etc.

i'm not sur eon the e-brake lines...

Thank-you for your response :)

Jason

Also if you can find a 92-95 Si or Delsol with rear disc, the spindles will bolt onto you trailing arms, and you should be able to use those lines too. As far as the ebrake, hmm...not 100%, maybe the Delsol, I'm not sure of the base to base length of the 4th gen Civics, but the Del sol is 93.3 inches from front base to back if that helps, maybe you can compare the two and if they are with in a couple inches they will interchange

Thanks guys I appreciate it...haven't 100% decided on the conversion yet...still contemplating whether I want to go through the hassle...or just fix the drum brakes... :unsure:

Jason

Originally posted by Magik@Mar 9 2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it...haven't 100% decided on the conversion yet...still contemplating whether I want to go through the hassle...or just fix the drum brakes... :unsure:

Jason

i did the rear disc swap on my 89 4 door...you pretty much have the part list except you will need the e-brake cables from a 90-93 integra...they are slightly too long and the 90-91 CRX Si ones are too short...so your best bet is to use the integra ones, just route them creatively so there's no slack. To go along with the swap, i used the master cylinder from an 89 prelude Si. It bolts right up to your booster and is a 15/16 instead of your 13/16. if you want a 1, you could use the 90-93 integra one, but you will need the booster as well. it would be best for you to use the master cylinder i used along with the 90-93 integra proportioning valve.

I thought the 90-91 Si hatches came with rear disc along with the CRX, but since you have a 90 hatch, i guess i was wrong.

i have an 89 hatch, and im about to do the same thing. i found a wrecked 90 crx SI that im getting the discs off of. i will need the discs, calipers, all the shit for the E-brake, and the rear trailing arms for my swap. i dont know if this helps you at all, but if it does, im glad i could help.

Thanks for your help guys...if I do this...I really appreciate all of the input, and if I "attempt" this then I'm sure that I will have MANY more questions.

For those of you that are confused about the drums/discs on an Si, well...so was I. But according to the local dealer that the 90 HB Si had stock drums...I was surprised too...

Jason

Back