1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bent valve or not?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by jOnZ, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jOnZ

jOnZ JDM jOn

This is the second time something broke that caused my car to jump timing the first time i didnt bend a valve what are my chances of bending one on a b18b1?

2. jOnZ

jOnZ JDM jOn

what exactly happens when you bend a valve? will i be able to hear it when i start up my car or what? =\ never experienced this

3. TheManRSW

TheManRSW TheManRSW

You could possibly hear a knocking/ticking. You could figure this out with a leakdown test. Undo your intake and perform test...if you hear air escaping from the throttle body...you have a bent intake valve and if you hear a slight hiss from the muffler...it's an exhaust valve. You can also check by holding a lighter (no wind/indoors) and seeing if the flame blows.

4. TheManRSW

TheManRSW TheManRSW

a compression test could also tell you if you have a leak...but you won't be able to pinpoint it...unless you do the leakdown test.

5. jOnZ

jOnZ JDM jOn

Great thanks I dont think I bent one anyway. But I will still check just in case. Do you know any good sites to buy valves?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted