1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best daily driver?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by NJhatch, Jun 9, 2008.

1. NJhatch

NJhatch New Member

I currently have a bone stock 94 civic hatch and I am looking to swap in a motor with better low-end torque as i am rather spoiled from my previous company car (2008 rav4 v6 with 246tq/269hp). Of course i don't want too loud of an exhaust because, dammit NJ cops are always pulling over civics.

I have done some searching and come to the following conclusions
    -b16 makes better torque than my d series but is not as good of an upgrade as the others
    -b18c is the easiest swap depending on yr/model with a decent price and most shops can do the swap
    -b20/vtec has a nice flat torque band but hard to get a shop to build

questions:
    1. besides stock exhaust are there any that can replace the current exhaust that will sound quite or will i need to get a 2.25" custom exhaust made(any suggestions)?
    2. Do you lose A/C with a b20/vtec swap into a 94 hatch?
    3. Which swap would be legal assuming usdm swaps?
    4. Any suggestions for shops in NJ that would do b20/vtec swap along with piecing the motor together?
    5. Which motor setup would be the best for a legal, comfortable daily driver?

Pls no flaming i did search quite a bit:)

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

your not gona get torque with a honda unless you go turbo, or h or k series

3. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

b16 is the easiest to make legal... even JDM motors will be fine, you just need certain USDM emissions parts..

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

1. Custom with an s-curve muffler like the Dynomax Super Turbo flows well and makes things quiet. A turbo quiets things down quite a bit too. :D

2. No, but you do have to make some changes to keep it.

3. What are your emissions laws?

4. :shrug:

5. Comfortable daily driver? Turbo your D with a really small turbo.

Wrong. You can build a nice all motor B that has a good amount of torque! I put down 160lbft to the ground in my B, and that was with a totally stock head.

5. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

thats true but i was looking at it from his view, im sure hes not gona want to dump that kind of money into a motor to get those numbers so i was going by just stock motors that would work in his car

6. NJhatch

NJhatch New Member

thanks for the replies!

I am not going to dump any money into the motor except for bolt-ons like i/h/e. Ideally B20/vtec would be the best but i m not sure if i can find a shop that would do that around me(not that i know of). Also i am not sure what NJ law says about swapping motors but since a/c can be used i am definately favoring the crv block. turbo would be awesome but i am looking for a reliable ride and my current d has 140k+

7. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

If you're not going to dump money into the motor then go B18C, you can still keep A/C. If you want Torque then skip the b16.

(of course an h22 or h2b swap would give you lots of torque:) and in stock trim would kill the other swaps, but its a little more involved then a straight B18C.)

8. newb

newb phresh VIP

I vote for a straight LS swap with a lil boost. You can keep your A/C, keep the swap simple, and have reliability. Throw some ARP hardware in it, boost to 200 horse, and get a nice tune. Super easy to do, and with regular maintenance itll last a very long time. Also, if you decide you want more power later on, youll have a good base to start with already.

9. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

i vote straight LS with a gsr tranny and nothing more.

cheap (1000 bucks complete)
    gobs of torque
    100% stock honda reliability

10. NJhatch

NJhatch New Member

answered my own Q

Ok... So i decided to call the dmv and i found out a few interesting things about NJ state law

1. motor replacements must be of the same model year or newer
    2. the motor can't be larger than the motors offered for that model year (she used the example of switching a four cylinder for a six). further, she explained that federal law allows the switching of "light-duty motors" in "light duty vehicles" as long as(quoted exactly form federal law), "the resulting vehicle is identical to a certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis, or if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected".
    3. cars 1995 and below are not ecu tested only tailpipe emissions tested

so basically any fourbanger that looks like original equipment and fits properly will work :D

1 person likes this.
  11. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

jesus and the mother mary...someone fucking called the direct source to get a real answer on what's fucking legal.

rep for you. :thumbsup:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted