**Best eCu for an H22** PART II

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
ok recently i wrote a forum asking about the best ECU to run on an H22 motor and all i got were everybodys responses about what they had in their car which was no help to me. therefore...i am writing this forum ONLY for those of you who currently have an H22 and have a specific eCU that you are using. im tired of getting responses from civic and integra owners..thats not what i have and therefore is no help to me. in my last forum, i pretty much ended it by saying that i was jsut going to go with a chipped p13 and call it a day but i kinda lied cuz ever since then i been doing research on the best ECU to get for this motor. as i said before i just recently got a JDM h22 thats going into a 92 accord. basically what ive come to the conclution to do is i think im going to get a p28 ecu and have it chipped. this is what my initial plan is to do. but before i go ahead and get it i wanted to check with the you guys what u think ( preferably H22 owners) to see what you thought....my biggest concern is about compatibility.. the motor i have makes provisions for the knock sensor, and IAB(secondary runners). now i was told that the p28 does not look for these sensors and that if i get a chip for it that it might throw a code and even go into open loop mode with no VTEC. now like i said before ive been doing some research on ECU's and ive found some interesting stuff..for example....according to hondata.. the only ECU that looks for a knock sensor and that runs the IAB sensors is the p72

SOURCE: hondata ecu list

now after reading this it seems to me that the p72 would be the best ECU for an h22 cuz of the IAB...but then again shouldnt a stock p13 have these sensors being that this ECU is for an H22?? im kinda confused...basically i wanna kno what all you other H22 owners are running as an ECU so then maybe i can get an idea of what to use my self.

also lets say i get this p28 ecu, being that its already socketed, what chip do i need to get.. some were telling me that i need to get a chip for any b16 but then wouldnt i wanna get a chip for an H22? im confused...what should i get??

ok, i've worked on a 93 accord with H22 running a P13, and my 95 integra with H22 runnning a P13

you cannot beat hondas own ecu for a stock H22, just stick with the tried and true P13 and wire it correctly...

shortcuts will get you no where

and where are you planning to get your ecu "chipped"?

i wouldn;t trust a "chip" unless i used uberdata and a rom editor and altered it myself...
you have no idea if the people/person making your "chip" has any idea what they are doing...

I agree with pretty much everything there. ^^^^^^ I used to run an H22 with a P13.

Don't "chip" it. Get an ECU tuned for your car, if you want, but a "chipped" ECU will most likely hurt your performance.

I still don't understand, as reckedracing suggested, why you don't just get a P13? Plug and play, you're done.

A P13 runs the IAB's and looks for a knock sensor. Don't believe me? Go look at a P13 pinout. The reason that list doesn't have a P13 listed, is that Hondata doesn't support that ECU anymore.

I've tuned 3 H22s in the past 2 months. One was a stock USDM H22. One was a stock JDM H22. One was a USDM H22 with Type S pistons

2 / 3 used P28s. One used a P72.
One of the two P28s was modified to control IABs too. The other two cars had either Skunk2 or Euro-R manifolds that lacked IAB.

All were chipped and had custom tunes done with Uberdata. The JDM H22 tune is available on the UD forums. I haven't had time to get either the 450cc retune or the Type-S retune up there yet. All cars ran noticeably better than with the stock P13, mostly low end + midrange. The JDM H22 had markedly improved top end too.

If you're not going to be tuning the car, stick to your stock ECU. If you are going to tune the car, you'll end up needing a civic or integra ECU for the time being because of lousy support for the P13 among ROM editors.

hope that helps.

:withstupid:

stick to the stock p13 if you're basically stock motor wise (cams, pistons, no fi)
otherwise, look into ubder/hondata on a p28.

to clairfy, the p28 will NOT throw a code for iab or knock. you got it mixed up. the p28 doesn't even know what it is, so how could it throw a code for it?
the other hand is running a p13 on a civic- it WILL throw a code because there are no iab or knock sensors on most d-series motors

Everyone is correct.

I'm going to chip a P28. A P28 or P72 is supported by Uberdata and Hondata. A P72 has knock and IAB built in. A P28 has neither, but can be programmed for the IAB. I have had many false knock codes in the past, and so that is my reasoning for not wanting a knock board.

P13 is basically trouble free, made for that engine.

I am either going to upgrade cams, or boost very soon, and so the tuning options are important to me. You are not stuck with an ECU once it's in place. You can always swap it out later, as I am, if your goals change.

Originally posted by tab@Nov 7 2004, 09:30 PM
Everyone is correct.

I'm going to chip a P28. A P28 or P72 is supported by Uberdata and Hondata. A P72 has knock and IAB built in. A P28 has neither, but can be programmed for the IAB. I have had many false knock codes in the past, and so that is my reasoning for not wanting a knock board.

I am either going to upgrade cams, or boost very soon, and so the tuning options are important to me. You are not stuck with an ECU once it's in place. You can always swap it out later, as I am, if your goals change.
[post=413558]Quoted post[/post]​

well bascally i dont plan on doing any major mods as of yet. ill probably only do the basic bold ons for now( cams, pulleys, intake, exhaust etc) although you said that the p72 has the knock and the IAB built it. does the p13 have all that as well?? . thats was my concern. the iab and the knock are both on the H22 motors but are they on the ECU as well???

Originally posted by TeamUrbanChaos+Nov 7 2004, 09:47 PM-->
@Nov 7 2004, 09:30 PM
Everyone is correct.

I'm going to chip a P28.  A P28 or P72 is supported by Uberdata and Hondata.  A P72 has knock and IAB built in.  A P28 has neither, but can be programmed for the IAB.  I have had many false knock codes in the past, and so that is my reasoning for not wanting a knock board.

I am either going to upgrade cams, or boost very soon, and so the tuning options are important to me.  You are not stuck with an ECU once it's in place.  You can always swap it out later, as I am, if your goals change.
[post=413558]Quoted post[/post]​

well bascally i dont plan on doing any major mods as of yet. ill probably only do the basic bold ons for now( cams, pulleys, intake, exhaust etc) although you said that the p72 has the knock and the IAB built it. does the p13 have all that as well?? . thats was my concern. the iab and the knock are both on the H22 motors but are they on the ECU as well???
[post=413566]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, of course.

The P13 is meant for the H22, and is so equipped.

Back