Best Headers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

obdtwointegra

i heard differint sides from differ people of what i should get, 4-1 or 4-2-1, whats the best? i have an 96 teg ls, whats the best, whats better stainless steel or ceramic? whats the diff???

4-2-1 will increase acceleration in lower gears
4-1 will increase speed in top end

Well it's up to you, I have seen a dyno test of almost every header on the market on a bone stock ITR, the best was SMSP (it replaces your cat also with it's long ass collector) it's up to you, most of us specific parts because they create the most power, it's up to you.

Milan

Hrm I'm a N00B so please tell me... whats SMSP? I was guessing it's Spoon MotorSPort but i want to make sure.

no
SMSP has nothing to do with that wayyyyyyyy overpriced "MaD JDM y0!" Spoon shit

SMSP makes VERY high quality VERY high performance parts and will walk all over anything from spoon or mugen

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 20 2003, 12:28 AM
Well it's up to you, I have seen a dyno test of almost every header on the market on a bone stock ITR, the best was SMSP (it replaces your cat also with it's long ass collector) it's up to you, most of us specific parts because they create the most power, it's up to you.

Milan

from what i hear manifolds with merge collecters are the best, the only disadvantage is size. Burns Stainless makes a whole bunch of merge collectors and pipes that can be used to make custom exausts.

From what I keep hearing from many websites and forums, :worthy: SMSP headers seem to have a great reputation so I suppose it is safe to call them the best... so the next question, where can I buy these and for approx. how much?

but smsp made more horsepower on a jdm itr motor than any of the other headers. the great header test or something is where i saw this.

edit- missed milans post

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Jun 2 2003, 12:34 AM
but smsp made more horsepower on a jdm itr motor than any of the other headers. the great header test or something is where i saw this.

edit- missed milans post

Do you mean this test?
http://www.automotiveperformanceengineerin...com/header.html
If I'm not mistaken, the Toda header made 190whp/137wtq, where the SMSP only made 190whp/136wtq. I've seen many different dyno's on 1.8s where the Toda header is neck and neck with both Hytech and SMSP. In my opinion, Toda is the prime choice for 1.8s. Reason being, you can purchase one anywhere and avoid having to wait 4 months or more for a Hytech/SMSP header. Also, it's priced $320 less than the Hytech, and about the same as an SMSP. You can't get much better than that for an off shelf header, actually, you can't get better at all!! Toda is the shit yO !!!!

Now on the other hand, for a person with a 1.9L, 2.0L+ by all means, go with a Hytech or SMSP header because they are custom crafted for your needs. With that much displacement, the toda header wouldn't breath as well.

Here's a comparison of a toda/SMSP header:

stock_SMSP_Toda.gif

every part will respond differently to every car.... and it kinda sucks.

smsp are bad ass, but require custom exhaust cuz they are tunable length. meaning, you make the runners llnger, you gotta shorten your exhuast. well, it adds up to about 2k to get a header on, dyno pruven to it's sweet spot, and then exhast fitted to length.
add a new part, and its time to do it alll over again

i say jdm itr 4-1. cheap, works.

Back