1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

better final drive for '94 civic EX?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by stmotorsports, May 11, 2004.

1. stmotorsports

stmotorsports Senior Member

hey does anybody know of a final drive ratio that will work in a stock 5th gen ex/si d-trans that's lower than stock (4.25)?
    i'm looking for something cheap like used or trans swap or something... can't be spending a couple hundred $$ for brand new gears- i'll just hold off for the motor swap instead if it's gonna cost me a couple hundred $$ just to do gears...

thx :)

2. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

www.exospeed.com

4.7 Final Drive $477

4.9 Final Drive $530

I think that's about as cheap as your going to find. I am pretty sure there isn't a final drive you can swap in from another tranny. If there is a cheaper alternative I would like to know because I want one.

3. stmotorsports

according to the trans tech spec section on this site, the '87 crx si had an fdr of 4.4 (unless its a typo or something...?)...
    -not a big jump from my stock 4.25, but if i could find one cheap in a boneyard or something, then i figure why not?
    all i have to do now is figure out if the two will interchange...

4. 88bluehf

88bluehf Senior Member

i dont know this matter of factly but ive heard rumours that the 4g 4 door lx civics have a final drive of like 4.9

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Nope. 4.058 for the 4G 4 doors.

6. stmotorsports

so does anybody have any idea if trans parts will interchange between 5th gen and 3rd gen civic/crx?
    any info i've found on d-series trannies specifies that the only stock ratio lower than my stock '94 EX 4.25 is the '86-'87 crx at 4.4. Anybody know if the parts (ie-countershafts/final drive/driven gears/etc...) from the crx will swap into my '94 EX/Si trans?
    Thx for any help

7. stmotorsports

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted