Black ash and idle problem!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DravenVX

Okay i have 2 things to mention. When i go to wash my car it's always covered in this black ash crap or something, it comes from the exhaust! Now, is this normal or what cuz it's been bugging me since day one! The other problem i have is the car did idle fine and recently it started idling really low, like almost at the zero point. What causes this and is it bad or normal? I have a 92 vx hatch with a B16A swap with a chipped p28 ecu, AEM CAI, 2 1/4 inch piping for my exhaust, magnaflow cat and magnaflow muffler, stock header and stock everything else! What do u guys think is the problem?? :( thanks

black ash in the engine bay is usually caused by the wrong torque on the exhaust manifold bolts or by a bad gasket.

the idle is probably a vacuum leak or the IACV is clogged.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 23 2005, 03:47 PM
black ash in the engine bay is usually caused by the wrong torque on the exhaust manifold bolts or by a bad gasket.

the idle is probably a vacuum leak or the IACV is clogged.
[post=559467]Quoted post[/post]​

Where is this "ash"

If you get black on the rear of the car, your motor is running really rich. You should look into that.. Any check engine lights?

A vacuume leak would cause the motor to idle high, not low. Could be the IACV.

just saying vacuum would make it irradic (sp)

yeah when i check the rear of my car, it's always dirty as hell from the black ash and i had a feeling that it was running a lil rich! I will change my ecu and see if it fixes the problem, thanks! As far as the idle problem i am not sure what it is or how to check it. What is the IACV, how do i check it? thanks again for ur replies everyone!

Back