Block gards

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRseX84

hey can somone clear this up for me... block gards, when do you use them... the look kind thick.. do they realy just sit between the block and the head?? do they realy help when you boost yourcar insted of getin sleeves? thanks for you help..
Tyler

also, I would opt to upgrade sleeves instead of the blockguard.

A better alternative would be block posting.

Which would not create hot spots, would not block the water jackets, and are much much cheaper ;)

if I am not mistaken an article on Endyn's site was written up on block posting,,,not sure though...any verifications

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 19 2004, 01:24 PM
if I am not mistaken an article on Endyn's site was written up on block posting,,,not sure though...any verifications
[post=365314]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, they discuss it in the 2l all motor buildup in the article section. They also sell the threaded posts, made out of the same grade alluminum as honda blocks so they expand and contract the same with heat. I think they run about $20 for a set.

I still think the better option would be to upgrade the sleeves on hondas, even though the article complemented the extra slots added to the current factory sleeves, but at the same token you can't compare nascar ideals with different concepts.

you can get a good quality sleeve job for ~800 bucks. concidering that it costs nearly as much to have a motor professionally torn down, block guard/posts installed, and then have it bored/honed, you might as well get a full sleeve. they are vastly superior to any amount of manipulation of the stock sleeves.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Jul 20 2004, 08:25 PM
you can get a good quality sleeve job for ~800 bucks. concidering that it costs nearly as much to have a motor professionally torn down, block guard/posts installed, and then have it bored/honed, you might as well get a full sleeve. they are vastly superior to any amount of manipulation of the stock sleeves.
[post=365947]Quoted post[/post]​

Well with a sleave job you still need to have the motor torn down. Why would it need to be done professionally?

Granted full sleeving is no doubt the best way to go, in some cases it may be overkill to what a simple DIY blockposting can do. $20 instead of $800...

Nascar is obviously not the same thing as modifying imports but its the same theory at work, sideloading and giving the load that would be placed on the weak cylinder walls a stronger place to go.

Originally posted by StyleTEG+Jul 21 2004, 12:40 PM-->
handlebarsfsr
@Jul 20 2004, 08:25 PM
[post=365947]Quoted post[/post]​

Well with a sleave job you still need to have the motor torn down. Why would it need to be done professionally?

Granted full sleeving is no doubt the best way to go, in some cases it may be overkill to what a simple DIY blockposting can do. $20 instead of $800...

Nascar is obviously not the same thing as modifying imports but its the same theory at work, sideloading and giving the load that would be placed on the weak cylinder walls a stronger place to go.
[post=366324]Quoted post[/post]​

the professionals are needed on the rebuild, as there arent a whole lot of people who can honestly put together a motor. that costs money. with block posting, you still need to at least hone the bore to get a fresh surface and ensure there are no irregularities and with posting, you dont ahve the ability to overbore the motor anywhere near like that of a full sleeve. and concidering the cost of all the other parts involved in a buildup (pistons, rods, headwork, valvetrain, etc), and the labor to put them all together, saving a few hundred bucks by skimping on sleeves doesnt really make any sense. if you can build your own motors, and your goals are only slightly above what can be achieved on a stock block, go for it. otherwise.. i dont see why you wouldnnt want to sleeve.

I just rebuilt a B18C5 motor, my first time, by reading the helms. Its not that hard, and the tools are not very expensive.

You can hone yourself, provided the cylinder walls are not out of round. If you don't plan on overboring, and don't plan on running boost, then sleeving is overkill. Its not saving a few hunder bucks, its saving $775 :blink:

Again, sleeving is no doubt better than just posting. However that doesn't mean there are plenty of setups that there is no need to sleeve when you can simply post. Its beyond simple as long as you have the right epoxy.

it's all depends on what he plans to do,...

so if he posts back up what his plans are and budget then I think be can better steer him in the proper way to go..

Back