Block gaurd questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WannabeSI

how do you all feel about block gaurds? i am building a crvtec for boost and i was told as long as it was tuned properly sleeves wernt necessary but a block gaurd might be a good idea. is this true? what would be the best block gaurd for a crv? where would be the best place to buy one? i know rev hard makes one and str makes one and there is one by a KMS engineering on ebay i dunno what do your guys think?

Stay away from block guards. If it's not installed properly then you probably will have problems. I have heard a few story's from people who did have their block guard installed properly and it still caused problems. They may have worked for some people, but I wouldn't want to risk it. They have also been known to cause cooling problems. Here is one post about a block guard killing a GSR... http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=405

I have never used one and I never will because I have heard way too many bad things about them. Don't just believe me though, go ahead and search online for yourself. I would be more worried with a block guard than without one. I say spend the money you would on a block guard and have your car tuned better. Stock honda sleeves can hold a lot of horsepower if tuned properly. I have heard the B20 sleeves are pretty weak though. My buddy actually cracked the sleeves in his turbo cr/vtec. He was making 306whp and was pushing his engine pretty hard at the track so he knew there was a chance it might go. If it gets to a point where your worried about the sleeves then I would just sleeve the block.

well it will be tuned with aem ems or hondata. i have a freind htat is running a turbo crvtec for over a year now and swears by his block gaurd i have heard very mixed feelings on this issue. It would be installed by the machine shope doing the rest of the engine work. im not sure thats why i would like to get some more opinions on this. Thanks!

If you're having a machine shop install it properly (welded in too) before they match bore your block to your pistons, you'll probably be ok. Drop in block guard installations always scare me.

I looked through that article, good read, never really thought about that. LOL jb weld...
I wonder why the guy didn't just use a real weld to seal the posts?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 30 2004, 04:50 PM
posting fucking sucks. all it does is save the whole from going through the block when you break a rod. it does NOTHING for the strength of the sleeve.

but if you inssit: http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects...ting/index.html

Posting has been around for a long time, its an old domestic trick.

Its really the same as a block guard. Instead of allowing the cylinders to flex under load, they are braced so some of the force is transferred through the post and into the rest of the block (which is much stronger).

The benefit of posting compared to a block guard, is not only is cooling no longer a problem, but they actually brace the block where it receives the most force. Look at some honda engines that have cracked their sleeves, it never happens at the top of the cylinder (like most blockguards sit), its always in the middle.

Back