block internals compatibility

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EFDX

i have a d16a6 with a y8 head built for turbo. i also have a stock obd2 d16y8 with a blown bottom end. can i swap the crank/ rods and pistons from the d16a6 into the d16y8 to make the d16y8 turboable?

we installed the d16a6y8 into the 2000 si but cant get it to run. ive done a b18a1 swap into my 90si but this is proving to be a bitch. its been sitting for a year now and ive kinda forgotten about it. its not my car. in the car now is a d16a6 with a y8 head and a y8 intake. not sure what dizzy (will have to look). y8 intake has y8 injectors due to the injector connectors on the harness not fitting the obd1 injectors. id rather get the d16a6y8 running rather than rebuild the obd2 d16y8. i put the engine in but never had a go at making it run. do we need the obd1 injectors and a obd1 dizzy?

No, the OBD1 injectors are the same as OBD2(resistance-wise). Though, IIRC, the OBD1 injectors share the same clips as OBD0 injectors? The OBD0 injectors are low-resistance and could result in a fried ECU if no resistor box is hooked up.

Did you install a crank sensor on the D16A6 block? Pretty much involves using a D16Y8 oil pump, crank gear, and crank sensor. The older engines didn't have a crank-mounted crank sensor.

no we installed the a6 engine with y8 head as it came but we put the y8 intake from the blown motor on the a6 because of the injector clips not working with the obd1 injectors. im going to have a go at making it work on the weekend.
recap: 2000 si, D16a6 with y8 head, y8 intake, p28 ecu, obd2a-obd1 ecu jumper, unkown dizzy ( probably obd1) as the setup was out of a 93si. although im thinking my buddy may have been using the dizzy off the 2000si. do we need a jumper harness for the dizzy?

Back