Blow motor salvagable?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I know this girl that killed the motor in her 97 LS integra. She basically broke the motor due to the fact she had no coolant in the motor and had pictures on her gauge cluster blocking any warning lights.
So now its looking like i am gonna replace her motor with a junkyard one and that would then leave us with her old motor. So my question: Is it worth me keeping the old motor and building up a "LS all motor monster"? I dont know what damage has been done to the motor or head. I dont know if the block can just be honed and put new pistons in or the lack of coolant really just destroyed the whole motor beyond rebuilding. Any input would be great, thanks guys!

take it apart, look at it, feel, if you cant tell if the cylinder walls are too torn up or the crank take it to a machine shop. they can tell

:werd:

It doesn't cost you anything to tear it down... but I don't think it'll be worth your time. If she was driving it around in a crippled state until it completely crapped out, I'm sure there's some serious damage in there. Maybe pistons overheating and expanding into cylinder walls, maybe melted pistons, maybe damaged bearing journals- those would be my hunches.

All right thanks for the input guys.... maybe i'll just strip the motor a sell the good parts :)

Back