blowing coils

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Had my Gotech MFI system installed a couple months ago (fully programmable fuel and spark management system from South Africa - www.gotech.co.za). It is set on Direct Fire. I had a cheap pirate coil (standard stuff) and after running for about 200km, she started misfiring and cutting out. Chucked the coil and bought another one from the same place... again another 200km or so and it blew again. It seems to be aggrevated by heat too... putting a bag of frozen peas onto the coil for a couple minutes seems to help for a little while.

So now, I'm not too sure what to do next. Oh yeah, the pickups inside the dizzy have been changed to VW Golf stuff too (Optical/Hall effect type sensing).

I heard you can put a Prelude dizzy cap on and this apparently runs an external coil? Or do you think it's the shitty pirate coils? I spoke to the guy that designed the Gotech system last night too and he said that this is the first time he's running Direct Fire on a Honda... also he says that the normal coils he uses have a resistance range of 10-12 or so whereas the Honda is around 15-18, could this be a factor? I don't really want to go out and buy another flippin' coil if it blows again.

Any Ideas?
Help! <_<

MSD makes an external coil set-up. basically, you open up your dist., pull out the coil, put their cap on/wire it up, and run the thick power cable to the external coil. look up "MSD Blaster" coil

other than that, i can't help you much

Prelude coils and caps are (relativly) cheap due to their need for a JDM swap (the JDM engine uses an internal). I'm not sure of what your setup is so I couldn't say if that will solve your problem or not. If the coil is getting excessivly hot, it would throw up an 'improper insulation' flag to me. Try a different coil setup.

Thanks. I put in a brand new orig. Honda coil last night... if it mucks about I'll do the external coil setup....

Back