Blown head gasket? D16Z6 Del Sol... sound right?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jisakson

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1995 Del Sol with a "blown head gasket." I opened the hood and started it up... this was the results...

1. Car started fine, seems to idle a little funny.
2. Took it for a drive, and it misses a little under load... if you hit the right spot on the gas it accelerates fine.
3. I unhooked the MAP sensor and it quit, but when I unhooked what I believed to be the Idle Air Control Module... nothing, no change in idle, nothing like that.
4. A little white smoke does come out of the exhaust, but I think thats just a mixture thing... the shittle idle and the missing under load, too much gas.
5. The car NEVER overheated while the old owner drove it, he brought it in because it would sputter a little at a stop sign, or at a red light.

it also has a cold air intake.

thats about it, let me know if you guys have heard of this... or anything common with a D16Z6 sputtering at stops signs and missing under load, my dad thinks its just a driveability problem, something giving it the wrong mixture.

thanks guys!

check the o2 sensor.

also if the head gasket is blown, a lot of times youll find coolant on your spark plugs right after you drive it.

The D-Series is plagued with head gasket problems. To know for sure, go to a auto parts supplier and buy a chemical test kit that will detect combustions gases in the antifreeze. If the headgasket is shot, then the chemical will change color. Its a great tool

Chances are it's shot. D-series HG's rarely will go catastrophically and will often leak for months. Mine did the same thing. Look for a weird sludge in the coolant, and for any rainbow shit in the oil. I'd suggest changing it soon - and if you are a decent mechanic it isn't that bad to do. A weekend job at most.

i agree with above....im 16 and did mine in 3 days.....put i cleaned my block too and got the head and block surfaces preped real nice.....ran perfect ever since...no smoke either.....you can dooooooo it :mrgreen:

I can do a head gasket job on my b18 in like 4 hours tops - a d-series should be even easier. If it's leaking all of the things mentioned can happen, also keep an eye on the water level. You can also smell antifreeze in the exhaust. It's a cheap fix, so if you got a good deal on the car, kudos to you.

Definitely. I did my SOHC ZC head gasket on a weeknight in about 2 hours with no space to even walk around the car, so it's not that bad. Just make absolutely sure that you clean the gasket mating surfaces REALLY well. Any debris can compromise the integrity of the new seal.

k thanks...

tomorrow I am going to buy that chemical test kit and check it out, im not 100% sold on the leaking head gasket yet, but even if it is, it doesn't sound like much of a problem to fix.

i got the car for free, it needs a fender, a front bumper, the hood needs to be straightened, the door either needs to be replaced or straightened, it needs new tires/rims, and a quarter panel needs to be straightened... so not a big deal!

Quoted post[/post]]
I can do a head gasket job on my b18 in like 4 hours tops - a d-series should be even easier. If it's leaking all of the things mentioned can happen, also keep an eye on the water level. You can also smell antifreeze in the exhaust. It's a cheap fix, so if you got a good deal on the car, kudos to you.

Whats is smell like (quick answer, not a threadjack)

ever use a blow torch on sugar...its kinda like that...a carmelizing smell...could be 200+ degree and sugar+alcohol mixture = carmelizing smell.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Uh, it smells like antifreeze. Basically, the antifreeze just turns into a vapor in the chambers and gets expelled outthe tailpipe...just take a quick wiff off your radiator or overfill, and that is what your exhaust can smell like when the gasket blows.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

It smells good. Unfortunately it's not good for you.

Quoted post[/post]]
i got the car for free, it needs a fender, a front bumper, the hood needs to be straightened, the door either needs to be replaced or straightened, it needs new tires/rims, and a quarter panel needs to be straightened... so not a big deal!
And I hate you. Well not really, just jealous of you for getting a sol for free.

Back