bolts for block onto engine stand b18 LS motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cannon

I was wondering where I could get the bolts to put my block onto an engine stand. I went to honda to buy some tranny bolts , but the guy said they wouldn't fit because I needed longer ones and tried to sell me a pair I needed for $20 <_< . He said the size was 12mm or something. I am on a budget with this LS VTEC project, so call me cheap but I think $20 for 4 bolts is a bit ridiculous. My questions to you guys are

1) Does anybody have a set here in the NY area they could sell me?
2) Would a hardware store carry these and does anyone know the specs?
3) Should I try a local performance store or would they try and rip me off also?

thanks in advance fellas
-nick

Remove the Transmission and use those! The engine bots up like a V8. Use the part where the bell housing goes.

hey,

i got the bolts for my LS at ACE hardware. i got raped for somethin like 24 bucks(5 bolts and a few nuts). the cheapest bet is to go the junk yard and either buy or steal em off a car. i'll check to see if i still have the sizes

Why buy anything, save the money and use the tranny bolts. Then put the money for the bolts toward the engine. It always cost more than you expect, always!!

guys, tranny bolts are too short to be used on an engine stand, please only tell this guy what to do if you have done it yourself.

i got my bolts from ACE, they were like $5 each, ya it sucks, but you have to do it. the ones i got were 80mm long, get the same thread size and pitch as your regular tranny bolts (can't remember what size off the top of my head)

EDIT: and you do NOT need to bring your whole damn block with you to see what size you need, just bring one of the stock tranny bolts.

:werd: i got mine at ace too and got raped as well, but the 80mm bolts are the only ones that were long enough to reach from the engine stand to the threads on the block.

Originally posted by B16@Nov 7 2003, 11:31 AM
EDIT: and you do NOT need to bring your whole damn block with you to see what size you need

:p i was just making a stupid comment, he knew i was kidding. :)

The tranny bolts fit fine on my engine stand. I don't what kind of engine stand you are using, I bought my stand from kragen, and the block has been sitting on it for almost a year. maybe you just have weird engine stands. if anyone's in cali and interested in the block let me know.

Originally posted by B16@Nov 7 2003, 12:31 PM
guys, tranny bolts are too short to be used on an engine stand, please only tell this guy what to do if you have done it yourself.

That's funny mine is on a engine stand right now with tranny bolts. I got the stand at auto zone. And I have a b-series motor and the bolts are the same.

Quit thinking so hard guys and use common sense.

What do you want me to do take a pic, and post it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Nov 7 2003, 06:34 PM
The tranny bolts fit fine on my engine stand. I don't what kind of engine stand you are using, I bought my stand from kragen, and the block has been sitting on it for almost a year. maybe you just have weird engine stands. if anyone's in cali and interested in the block let me know.

Tell em, brother! They work!!!!

Originally posted by gocivicls+Nov 7 2003, 04:57 PM-->
MikeBergy
@Nov 7 2003, 06:34 PM

Tell em, brother! They work!!!!

i guess it depends on your stand then, i got mine from kragen, and there is no way i would use tranny bolts with that stand, i would get maybe one thread into the block. but since he has already stated that the tranny bolts are too short, guess what fellas, they are too short for his stand.
i took the liberty of posting my motor on my stand.
s3f88abf904e36.jpg

s3f88ac2bd1f9b.jpg

I didn't want to spend the money for the bolts so I just cut the bolt "pegs" on my engine stand shorter and used the tranny bolts. Worked great.

i just put my b16a2 short block on a stand for the first time today and i bought 2 metric bolts and nuts and a choco taco for $2.25. it isn't rocket science.

Back