bondo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaCivicKid

Whats up? I have a question about bondo. Say im doing interior work on my car and i wanna get the texture OUT of the plastics.....if i put bondo on those pieces and sanded it smooth, then painted them(the right way), would the bondo work for that? Im not big on the specs of bondo, but it seems possible. If you know then please help me out. Thanks. B)

bondo sucks on plastic, but by all means have a go at it, i'm sure you can make it work- i just don't see what the big deal is with the textured plastic :shrug2:

I dont think that its a big deal just that he would like something different. Personly its to much work for such bull shit, but if its what hes trying to do coo.

just sand the textured stuff down on the piece you want smooth, down. get all the dust off, primer it reall good. put a few coats of paint on it. put a few coats of clear on it. wet sand and your done. good and smooth.

Wouldnt it be pointless to clear coat it if you wet sand last? What is wet sanding, ive never seen it done or heard of it before, im imagining it involves water and sand paper. But my imagination isnt the most reliable source, so how does it work? :worthy:

wet sanding is usually accomplished by using a very high # grit of sandpaper and doesn't actually sand, the grit is so find it polishes the clear coat

-use some of that high build primer so it will fill in the minor imperfections you'll end up with after you sand that texture away

wet sanding is exaclty what it says, you wet the body panel and the sand paper and then sand. every 20-30 strokes rinse off the paper, you will sand finer, cleaner, and the paper will last at least 3x as long.

here is a fairly origional idea to fix the dashboard $215 and you will save a crapload of weight.

http://www.mmrusa.com/fgdash.htm

wouldnt the clear coat become dirty and have imperfections in it such as light scratches? what grit sandpaper would you recommend to polish the clear coat? ive painted stuff before but never wet sanded.

you got to sand ALOT.

i started with 120grit

then 180grit

then 220grit

then 400grit

then 600grit.

when i was done it was smoother than the factory paint.

what do you think about the fiberglass dash???

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 14 2004, 06:00 PM
you got to sand ALOT.

i started with 120grit

then 180grit

then 220grit

then 400grit

then 600grit.

when i was done it was smoother than the factory paint.

what do you think about the fiberglass dash???

WTF? you wet sanded with 120? your on crack, the finest grit i have ever seen used was on primer surfacer and that was 800 grit and that was to knock the oranage peel out of it. Usually 1500-2000 is what is used to wet sand oranage peel or dust specs out. Any more questions just PM me, ive been doing this shit for like 5 years now, work in a shop and have a associates degree in auto body (whoopie :roll:)

Originally posted by HondaCivicKid@Apr 14 2004, 04:36 PM
wouldnt the clear coat become dirty and have imperfections in it such as light scratches? what grit sandpaper would you recommend to polish the clear coat? ive painted stuff before but never wet sanded.

The scratches made by the wet sanding are very fine and when polished with a buffing compound the scratches grow even smaller.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Apr 14 2004, 06:05 PM
:werd: please don't sand your interior panels with 120 grit sandpaper, you will NEVER get those deep scratches out

my bad i forgot to state that i was doin it on my body panels also to remove rust. but i made teh mistake of starting with 80 grit, and 45 coats of primer later i was back up to the rest of the paint.

soo, yeah listen to xyswanny cause he has hella more experience than i do

If something is already painted, I wouldn't even think about anything less than 400 or 600 grit. Most of the time, I start with 800-1000 or higher. It depends on what I am trying to accomplish, and the color.

Back