Boosted ls/vtec crank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blackz151

I just got a 91 teg. Iam startin to build a ls/vtec motor for it. I want to but it on boost down the road. I am just looking to for the best crank. Should i just use the stock ls crank and get it cleaned up? I gonna be running

JE 9:1 Pistons
Eagle Hbeam Rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts

Looking for somthing around 15-20 psi if that.

i dont realy have a set power range. Mostlikey gonna be on a gt35. Iam semi new to the sport compac stuff. Been building chevy motors and such. maybe 350-400 ish?

yea i was lookin into the t3/t4. Is the stock ls crank strong enoufe to hold that kind of power or should i just change it out now.

Yeah the stock cranks are strong I called laskey racing and they said that they have run theres to 900hp.

Ya if you are using stock rods atleast get ARP rod bolts. If you are getting aftermerket pistons/rods check out tuner toys. They have good prices and have their own lineup of rods that are an eagle replica.

The factory crank will be just fine. I do recommend have the crank micropolished and balanced by a reputable machine shop. The pistons and rods you are wanting to run are a good choice. If anything consider sleeving the block.

I wonder how many people know they're wasting money by micropolishing and balancing Honda cranks?

Ya aren't they already balanced pretty well from the factory? They would have to be to rev to 8k rpm.

I never did mine when I did my LS/Vtec.

I wonder how many people know they're wasting money by micropolishing and balancing Honda cranks?

Even when there are no spun bearings there will be some light wear on the journals. Yes the cranks are balanced well from the factory but there is definetly room to improve. I think $100 or so is worth the extra insurance when your building an engine that costs several thousands of dollars. If polishing and balancing is totally pointless on a Honda crank, why does Dan Benson do it on his engines? But hey cut corners when and where you want!

Last edited:
I agree with boostin. They are well balanced from the factory but the polishing of the journals don't hurt a thing and Benson does it for 150 including shipping back to you. It is cheap insurance and when i talked with the guy at laskey he said you can have them balance it for 10,000 rpm if you want. They really do a good job and it is worth it if your putting a lot of money into the motor you might as well do the small things as well.

No argue intended it is just an opinion. I will spend the extra 150 to make sure the crank is perfect better that oem. I know not many shops can hit that mark but Benson has proved time and time again they can make it that much better. And even in a street motor it cant cause any harm. Even if it is only a minute amount better that makes it worth my bills. But you can all decide for yourself i am not saying you have to do it but really if your gonna spend a bunch of money on internal work why not pony up the 150 bucks. On another note what does rebuilding the engine after every run have to do with anything most those guys are probably running knifed cranks anyway.

Like I said, it's a waste of money. I don't need a crank that's balanced to 10000RPM when the engine never even sees 8000RPM. Want to know who taught me that? A guy who builds Winston Cup NASCAR engines that last for an entire season. Hey, I like Forza too but I don't build a car based on the game. For the goals the OP has, there's absolutely no need to waste the money on what's already a perfectly good crank. Whatever though, it isn't my money.

If you actually read what I typed, you'll answer the question in your last sentence for yourself. ;)

No offense but you are kind of cocky and annoying! I dont care what you have seen and how smart you supposedly are. I have seen personally more problems with spun bearings from people who take short cuts like you. Even when clearances where checked and everything assemble correctly. I am talking about people who run shops are ASE certified and have done many of these. You mean you wouldnt run a dohc vtec engine to 8000? Some of the shit you say makes me laugh. You probably have read and seen more then you have actual experience! If you know so much from your experience why not post up some builds that you did from a bare block up yourself, and better yet how long they lasted. I would like to see what you have really done versus a bunch of second hand opinions and info you picked up from people who do the real work!

Last edited:
Wow you have done something?? Something that required probably no fabrication. A simple rebuild with a few aftermarket parts. Oh and you dont have the tools or skill to tune it yourself either? Ohh wait I know the answer to that question your big buddies with all the pros so they wanted to do it for you!

What's with the flame fest?

If the guy likes the idea of micropolishing and balancing his crank to get that warm fuzzy feeling inside whether he needs to or not is up to him.

Why can't we all just be friends?? :)

Back