Boostin' a y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

S14Civic

im thinking about boosting my 98 ex which has 84k miles on the motor...ive been told that the y8 isnt the most reliable motor under boost....is this true?

eBay Motors: Greddy Bolt-on Turbo Kit - Honda Civic Ex (96 - 00) (item 280089776996 end time Apr-02-07 22:35:00 PDT)

thats the kit im looking to put on my car...ive read that the internal waste gate on the turbo is set at 6psi....i should be able to safely run that set-up all day right?:confused:

I was also wondering why greddy's turbo kits dont come with intercoolers or bov's...is a bov not essential at 6psi? they claim that the kits are bolt-on which would lead me to believe that its not necessary but it would be a good thing to have one...help?!?:confused:

the y8 is fine on boost your car has low miles so it will be great, thats a good kit 7psi will be fine all day long on that motor,,but i wouldnt buy it from ebay buy it from greddy you can get it cheaper and then you will know its the real deal greddy not some fake bs

im not sure about that,, i edited my first post re read lol

Ebay kits sux... what quality are you getting for 2150? Save another grand and get the REAL kit not the fake ebay ones.... SEE NO BOV OR FMIC!!!! Thats ebay quality for ya

Last edited:
the kit directly from greddys site doesnt have a bov either.....i have a 93 hatch and greddys bolt on kit for that car doesnt come with one either....so its not like the $2000 greddy kit is "fake" or "low quality"

HA! Not a real one... Sure I can get a turbo for 150 but it will suck monkey balls! i perfer quality over anything else... Greddy is high quality.... Ebay is low-balling crap...

all turbos need a blow off valve and I/C... Without a blow off valve you will get boost spikes... With out a I/C the air coming in is way too hot and you get knock...

how come greddy sells the kit as a complete bolt on kit w/o those two parts ?...its not just the kit from ebay that comes w/o it.....performancecenter.com sells the kit the same way it is seen on both the greddy site and the ebay site

Greddy in there instructions says you WILL need a BOV and a FMIC... without those you wont be able to blot it up... the greddy ones dont come with them because I would rather have a RFL BOV and a kinda smaller FMIC.... You might want a BOV that has a pop-off built in and you might want a huge FMIC to fill in your bumper... Those two things come down to user tastes...

yeah ....i need a fmic anyway to fill in the enormous bumper gap i have on my car.....i was just wondering why they didnt sell it with the kit if it was necessary

VERY! your turbo will spit out air at about 350 degrees there about... your intercooler will bring that down to about 140-ish... that is where it is supposed to be... But a 350 you get knock because right as the injector is firing into that hot air being compressed even hotter by the piston the fuel will explode before the spark plug fires... thereby producing knock....

You will need a BOV too... at full throttle you have 6 pounds of air... you snap the throttle closed and shift... but even in those milli-sec that turbo just maxed itself out and air started to rush back out though the inlet of the compressor side of the turbo... you will get boost spikes and kill your turbo seals over time

so does anyone recomend any kit in particular? I was looking at the eddlebrock performer x kit which looks pretty complete.. $3200 for 170 hp and 140 ft-pds......is it worth it? i can get a jdm b16 swap for cheaper with the same hp right? is the extra so something ft pounts of tq going to to make that big of a difference?

well mabe this will help a y8 on 7psi up against a jdm b16a in stock trim just bolt ons, the y8 will walk it

Back