boosting on new pistons.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NotUrAverage_Si

Ok my plan is to put new forged pistons in before the turbo kit goes on because I don't want to boost on new pistons/rings while I'm breaking them in. Anyway this thought crossed my mind:

How would you break in pistons and rings on boost dependent cars such as eclipses or supras? :shrug2:

Boost is actually easier to break in that an n/a car. The boost produces a greater ring pressure against the sidewall which promotes a better seal. This is following the rules of "hard" break in, as opposed to OEM breakin which is usually way too light to produce proper ring sealing.

I see...so it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to boost on new rings?
Everyone I know has always broke in the rings before boosting so I always thought that was the best thing to do.
I wasn't even going to boost more than 6lbs. on this block anyway. I'm going to wait until I send my other block to darton to get fully sleeved.

many race cars and high power street cars are broken in on the dyno.

ok so I'm thinking I'll just do everything at once and not really get on it for a little over 500 miles just to be safe, which isn't hard since I drive at a slow pace anyway.

Back