boring out the d series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

I want to get my engine bored out...I am going to be going to a performance shop soon to buy a packe of all of the internals neded to keep my engine safe...my question is how much should i get the engine bored and how much should i expect this to cost? (i was told the boring is the cheap part normally less than $200 or around $25 per cylinder)

you're probably gonna want to bore it out .020". which is equal to .5mm.. commonly referred to as "twenty over". as for cost, it depends where you take it. benson's in la county charges $200 for a bore and hone, but they're one of the best names in the business. but what you were told is about right. anywhere between 100 and 200.

Quoted post[/post]]
you're probably gonna want to bore it out .020". which is equal to .5mm.. commonly referred to as "twenty over". as for cost, it depends where you take it. benson's in la county charges $200 for a bore and hone, but they're one of the best names in the business. but what you were told is about right. anywhere between 100 and 200.
How much power will i gain from that bore and about how much can i expect the pistons to cost?

99 ex's have a d16y8 in them, sohc vtec. did you swap in something else?

Quoted post[/post]]
Way too much. You'll get 21cc and .1:1 compression from a .020"/.5mm over bore in a D-Series block. You just overbore to make sure that your cylinders are perfectly round. You might gain about 5hp and 1-2tq..

What kind of internals are you buying? What's your target compression ratio? What's your ultimate goal for the motor?

I really only want to bore it out because i plan to put a turbo on the engine...along with boring it out i plan to get the head ported and polished, new cam, etc., so my engine can handle the turbo without having to worry about a blown engine or destroying the head gasket...I'm just trying to find out how much i should bore it out and how much to pistons and rods will set me back...i'm open for suggestions on where i can find a good set of internals

nahh

the beauty of a sohc is that if it blows its cheap to replace....i would save my $$$ and not spend it on forged pistons for a D....my $.02

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
99 ex's have a d16y8 in them, sohc vtec. did you swap in something else?

Actually no...everybody is telling me that same thing too...it came with a d16y7...but if anyone how much power it will gain or the better question how much a set of pistons would cost let me know

:huh: say what? dude i drive a 97 civic ex, trust me, it comes with a d16y8 sohc vtec. If you have a y7 then thats not the original motor. All ex civic's from 92-now came with single vtecs, hx came with vtec too but they were economy based, dx lx and cx came with single non vtec. If your throttle body is aimed up in the air then its a y7 for that year and if its aimed towards the passengers side fender then it s a y8.

Quoted post[/post]]
Let's look at this. What kind of power are you wanting to put down?
whatever i can fit into my budget

and for all of you who have a problem with me because i bought a 1999 civic ex in 2001 with 35000 miles on it and a D16Y7 in it...look my car has all of the features of an ex except the engine...maybe the honda factory messed up...maybe somebody blew the original engine out and they replaced it cheaply....oh well i have a 1999 civic with ex logos on it with a d16y7 in it

Quoted post[/post]]
People don't have a problem with you, they have a problem with whatever asshat put a Y7 into an EX. The first thing you'll have to do is put a Y8 head and MPFI back on that block...called a "mini-me". For that fact, are you sure that you don't have a mini-me in the car already? It's possible that the block blew and that it was just replaced with a Y7, since they're the same blocks.

Next, what's your budget? I'm shooting for turbo'd 200whp out of my D16Z6 and I'm using Nippon Racing Pistons because they're supposed to be good to 300hp. If that's all you want, you can get those on eBay for ~$160 with rings. There are people on D-Series.org who are running 400whp on fully built D16s. How much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend to get it?

My budget is $1800...do you think it is possible that somehow just the valve cover got swithed because i have a feeling my car had a little more than 105 whp stock...do you know any sure tell signs that would tell me if it's a y7 or y8...any answer or suggestion is appreciated

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
People don't have a problem with you, they have a problem with whatever asshat put a Y7 into an EX. The first thing you'll have to do is put a Y8 head and MPFI back on that block...called a "mini-me". For that fact, are you sure that you don't have a mini-me in the car already? It's possible that the block blew and that it was just replaced with a Y7, since they're the same blocks.

Next, what's your budget? I'm shooting for turbo'd 200whp out of my D16Z6 and I'm using Nippon Racing Pistons because they're supposed to be good to 300hp. If that's all you want, you can get those on eBay for ~$160 with rings. There are people on D-Series.org who are running 400whp on fully built D16s. How much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend to get it?

My budget is $1800...do you think it is possible that somehow just the valve cover got swithed because i have a feeling my car had a little more than 105 whp stock...do you know any sure tell signs that would tell me if it's a y7 or y8...any answer or suggestion is appreciated
Look for the numbers stamped on the block

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Look for the numbers stamped on the block
ok will do

Back