Boring process

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Skate4mindgame

Any know exactly how it is done. I am just a little curious, i.e. if i wanted to get my b18c bored from 81mm to 85mm

The sleeve would have to be replaced to go to 85mm. Basically a machine shop blots your block to a boring machine and it runs a drill like tool that is sized for your intended bore down each hole.

Meanwhile everyone falls asleep because the process is so dull...

Okay, lame pun but that is the basic idea.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Sep 29 2003, 12:31 PM

No worries, I thought the same thing when I read just the topic title. :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Sep 29 2003, 02:35 PM-->
@Sep 29 2003, 12:31 PM

No worries, I thought the same thing when I read just the topic title. :)

Same here.

Boring stuff does get pretty boring though, especially when you're removing that much material and trying to keep a good finish... but if you screw up, it gets exciting really fast.

:blink:

Heh ok been reading some stuff online ,and all im confused about now is when an engine is bored out do they bore the cylinder liners or are those pulled out and the block is bored and new liners put in?

You generally bore the cylinder liners (also known as the sleeve or sleeves). In most cases with a Honda, when you bore for more displacement you replace the sleeve (or resleeve) in the block with a thicker walled unit, then bore out to your desired size.

That I'm not sure about. I've wondered that a few times myself...

I guess that you COULD bore the block casting itself out to accept an even larger sleeve, but it would be somewhat useless.... you can only use up to a certain size sleeve bore before you have no cylinder walls left in between the pistons. I don't think that Honda block castings have to be cut for any aftermarket sleeves.

Back