Bought 90 EX civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey everybody I just bought a 90 ex 4dr I'm building it as a budget car while I build my H22 for my accord so I found a salvage yard where I can get D16A1 engines for $75 dollars. I need to know all the things I need to look out for dong this swap like linkage clutch/throtle cables, transmission, clutch, flywheel, axles, ecu, I all ready know I'll have to convert the wiring to PGMfi. I've also heard rumors that my L3 tranny won't bolt up to the USDM integra motors responses would be super thanks!

Also if any body could tell me if the HF manifold will bolt up to the D16A1 head I want to do cheap boost job on the motor.

the D16A1 will more than likely NOT bolt into the civic...

the D16A1 has the drivers side mount off the front of the block, while civic D series motors have the drivers side mount off the timing belt side of the block...

brown top and black top D16A1's are diffrent also

brown = 86-87 and has vacuum advanced dizzy which works well in first gen crx's but not good for your civic

88-89 = black top, and has normal electronic timing advance, more compatable with your car but i think the mount is in the same position as the 86-87 which i have bolted into my first gen crx

i know the ew4 tranny will not bolt to the d16a1
i have heard that an 88-91 SI tranny will bolt to the D series block...
i also heard the 86-87 and 88-89 take diffrent trannys
the 88-89 trans will NOT bolt to the earlier motor...

check the mounts before you buy the motor..

HF manifold should bolt to the D16a1 but i still think that motor will not mount in your car

do the DPFI->MPFI swap for 110 horses and if you;re not happy with it then go from there...

Nope it has the D15 in it for sure. I'd rather have the DOHC. So if I'm looking for the Integra motor should I look for 88-89 or am I just thinking of the ZC. What bolts in and works with my tranny? Also I heard you can just swap the head if so let me know! Sorry guys when it comes to D series I'm kind of retarted. Thanx

Originally posted by 90AccordH22@Apr 26 2005, 03:58 PM
Nope it has the D15 in it for sure. I'd rather have the DOHC. So if I'm looking for the Integra motor should I look for 88-89 or am I just thinking of the ZC. What bolts in and works with my tranny? Also I heard you can just swap the head if so let me know! Sorry guys when it comes to D series I'm kind of retarted. Thanx
[post=491755]Quoted post[/post]​

if you want a DOHC then get the blacktop JDM ZC from the 88-91 JDM CRX/Civic Si - the D16A1 could be installed if you wanted to make custom mounts and a lot of other hassles - not worth it for 113hp - not to mention that there is a reason they sell them for $75 - most of them are completely used up

Thanks for all the replies I actually just am going to buy a Si hatch so I'm going all out and I'm going to go all motor H22A in it I figured I have the H whats the point in buying a motor and doing all these mods when I can just swap it.

Back