Bought this EK swapped B16A2 Need help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stlsinger

got most of the bugs worked out. main thing is it spark knocks under load and it sound like vtech kicks in but doesnt go any faster. i know for sure the o2 sensors wires have been cut. there are 4 of them. also im new to Hondas and im cluess with fixing them for the time being. any quick way to wire the o2 back up?

also not sure if im running obd1 or 2. how to tell? and what kind of ecu should i have for best performance

thanks guys!

82443B04-34F3-4161-8937-7D043C3E7AA8-7644-000002E409FC2BBD.jpg

AC8D62A1-9919-4B39-9FE4-2699196E5A88-7644-000002E41CCAECBF.jpg

EB899C70-14F4-4FCF-9DA3-BB8C89FC675B-7644-000002E41F3EE1D5.jpg

21B40CB5-B74B-4C6A-842B-9768575C0A74-7644-000002E423907FB2.jpg

heres a couple picks of the car and wire harness and ecu

OK, A P28 ecu should be OBD1. It looks like someone installed a OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness. The P28 that you have is a good ECU to work with. It can be tuned for whatever motor you want to run but in stock form it is not the correct ecu for the b16. If my memory is good that is a d16z6 ecu. It will need to be chipped and tuned to bring out the full potential of your motor.

As far as the o2 wiring goes I would advise buying a helms manual or go check out your local library. Most library's have haynes or chiltons manuals available and the should be able to provide you with the proper wiring diagrams to be able to fix the problem. You could also check out autozone.com as they have some alldata information available for free on the website.

Good luck.

I found a chipped p28 on ebay from a hondaprofessor2012. he says he can disable the o2 sensor as well so i wouldn't even need to buy one. is this a good option? or will performance suffer disabling it?

I would pass on that. The only safe way to run a non feedback fuel table (which is what happens when you disable the o2 sensors) is to have the car dyno tuned under exacting operating conditions. I do not recommend this for a daily driven car. IMO the first thing you should do is fix the o2 sensor wiring and getting working correctly and then get a base map chip for your ecu. After that I would suggest finding a local tuner and arranging some time with them to get it set up correctly.

Couple people said disabling o2 sensor would cost me in gas mileage for sure but day to day driveability would be fine. I found another place that chips the ecu's called phearable.net i would get a basemap tune for the b16a with the o2 sensor off. seems the way to go really. save some cash on the actual sensor.

I do have a sensor in the header. just not sure how to wire it up. im pretty good with wiring just not sure where the factory harness comes out on these cars or what pins in the ecu to direct wire it to. seems like a pain though.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Update......

Found the O2 wires tucked away. I think im gonna order 2 chips one with it disabled and one not. im thinking the o2 sensor was bad and this idiot cut the wires or because this computer isnt for the the b16a it was throwing o2 sensor codes.

Ordered the ecu and two chips. one with o2 and one without. pulled codes and i got 41 and 21. so im wondering if having the wrong computer is causing the vtec code? i guess well see in a couple days when i put the computer in :thumbsup:

ok. heres whats going on now. i order the ecu from a hondaprofessor2012 off ebay. running the o2 disabled til i can afford the new sensor. i found out why i was getting the code 21. the idiot had the vtec wires completely disconnected by the ecu. so i wired it back up and bam! no check engine light anymore. now my problem is i hear vtec engaging but the car doesnt pull any harder. do i need to clean the solenoid?

UPDATE!

I think the main thing wrong with the car was I had a clogged cat. so i installed the new header and left the o2 sensor disabled and hollowed out the cat. it runs great now no check engine lights.

when i installed a universal o2 sensor (4 wire) and put the chip in for the enabled o2 i got a code 43 fuel system code. would having the cat hollowed out do this? ive seen it could be a number of things like o2, fuel pump etc.

for now im running it disabled til i feel like tackling this code 43 issue

Back