Brake cleaner, and clutch...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

can, or should i use brake cleaner to clean my clutch. It squeeks badly, and it was put in with my motor about a year ago. do i have a bad clutch or should brake cleaner help solve the problem?

brake cleaner would make it sqeek more, cuz brake cleaner is a non-petroleum product use for brake systems, not pads or clutches, it has to be non-petrol b/c petrol products swell the seals in a brake system up to four times the normal size so dont put petroleum products in a brake system or you'll have to sped alot of money fixing it. back to the question no it wont help it will make it worse sounding.

when i ordered my act flywheel, the papers that came with it reccomended that you thoroughly clean the friction surface with brake cleaner. and i did, and it works fine.

I mean it wont hurt it just it wont solve you sound problem! unless its dirt on your clutch then it might. What does it sound like?

WTF are you talking about. Make some sense and know what you are talking about before you type.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough+Oct 19 2003, 08:51 PM-->
@Oct 19 2003, 07:55 PM
WTF are you talking about.  Make some sense and know what you are talking about before you type.

:werd:

so will this work or not. i got confused in the mist of all this drama....

Why is your clutch squeaking/making noise? Is it due to being driven hard?

Cleaning an abused clutch (yes, you use brake clean) will not help it at all, due to the friction material being glazed due to excessive heat. The only thing that will solve your problem is a new disc, and a resurfacing of your flywheel.

It is the same thing that happens when you abuse your brakes, the pads glaze due to the heat, and they squeal forevermore when you apply them.

So, might as well replace the clutch while you have it out for "cleaning".

Back