Brake conversion/wheel mind fu*k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so today I am putting on my 4x114.3 conversion in the front. Everything mechanically goes "perfect" so to speak, everything came off and bolted on with very little to no problems. The conversion came from a 99 Civic Aerodeck (same as the four lug ITR's (Prelude vtecs and Accords for all practical purposes), and quite a nice upgrade from the civics, as you can see....

s401aa81bd6da9.jpg

Anyway, once I got it all together, all the rims were mounted except front passenger side. So I go to put it on and start torqueing down the lugnuts, and then I notice that hte caliper is rubbing. I am using four lug ITR rims. So, I flipped out for a minute and then go to trouble shooting. Took drivers side front off, and put it on passenger side and it fits fine, and then viseversa with the passenger side rim on the drivers side, but no dice, still rubbed. So I lay them down down and start looking at the insides. both 15 6 50. Then we notice that between the mounting surface and the insdie of the cast where the lettering is is a different hieght, as seen below...

s401aa8079c417.jpg

s401aa7f350935.jpg

So me and the guy at the shop figure that there must be a casting difference between the years, as three of them are the same one this one is different, even though they are all four lug ITRs.

So, my questions are, has anyone heard of a difference between they four lug years (96-98?)?

What route should I take to correct this? Washers? Grind down the saddle a couple mm? Spacers(not sure if they make them that small)

Thanks guys.

wow, thats crazy shit. only thing i can think of is either sell them to someone else, machine down the other one to match the short one and run spacers with extended lugs, or just buy new rims.

None of those are an option, except the spacers, as I go to Iraq in a couple weeks.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 30 2004, 11:59 AM
None of those are an option, except the spacers, as I go to Iraq in a couple weeks.

eeek! well good luck to you out there.

i would say grind down the caliper a little. that's weird tho... is the rim bent? how much clearance do the other rims have?

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 30 2004, 08:58 PM
will it fit on the rear??

Yes, but three of them are the same, and unfortunately, that is with smaller mounting clearance. So I am assed out onm one front one

so 3 of them are smaller????

i thought that one was smaller????

im a little lost now

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2004, 09:02 PM
i would say grind down the caliper a little. that's weird tho... is the rim bent? how much clearance do the other rims have?

Nope, not bent, just a couple mm different hieght on the mounting surface.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 30 2004, 09:05 PM
so 3 of them are smaller????

i thought that one was smaller????

im a little lost now

Yes three of them are the shallower ones, so I have the two for the back no problem, but one on the front (bigger caliper) is touching :( And one is fine, exactly how it should be (the deeper one)

i think spacers are going to be your only option at this point .... aside from shaving the calipers

So, what is safer, shaving the caliper saddle a couple mm, or using washers? I am not expecting the find 2mm spacers here, and the car has to comeout of hte shop tomorrow morning.

Come on brainstormertroopers, my car is being held hostage by Hondas insanity....

s401aa8841fbe4.jpg

So far the best I have is 1mm washer and 1 mm grind, but I ma thinking I could get away with 2mm grind on the saddle.

Ideas, I love them.

Could it be a remanufactured wheel? I remember on someones car (think it was calesta's) he had one remaned SI wheel and it made the clearance between his brakes extremly little on that side.

Sounds dumb, have you tryed putting that wheel on the drivers side vs the passengers? Maybe your problem is there? On honda-tech, they had a DIY on how to fit GSR brakes under HX wheels. I think that your going to have to do the same.

Well grind a bit off of the cailper, and some off the rim and then coat both with paint of the same color as original. This way you dont take off too much of the rim or too much off the caliper, do half and half of the clearance measurement that you need. It works very well

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 31 2004, 12:52 AM-->
Could it be a remanufactured wheel? I remember on someones car (think it was calesta's) he had one remaned SI wheel and it made the clearance between his brakes extremly little on that side.

Sounds dumb, have you tryed putting that wheel on the drivers side vs the passengers? Maybe your problem is there? On honda-tech, they had a DIY on how to fit GSR brakes under HX wheels. I think that your going to have to do the same.
One guys theory was that the owner had shaved his rims, but the doesn't make any sense because then he wouldhave to run smaller calipers or spacer and defeat the purpose. So, I don't know there, maybe, but I doubt it.

Yea, when I put the passengerside one on the driversside, it rubs, and when I put the drivers side one on the passengerside it is fine. So it has to be the higher contact surface.

MXDesa Posted on Jan 31 2004
@ 12:53 AM
Well grind a bit off of the cailper, and some off the rim

Are you kidding? I am not about to grind a weak spot into my rims. There is way too much stress on rims to grind part of all the spokes down. The saddle doesn't really see a lot of stress, as it doesn't move, and only holds the pad in place. I can live with some shaved off there.

Well, after visiting four shops in town, and finding not a single set of 2mm spacers without orderimg them, I decided to shave the caliper. I wound up taking only about 1mm off, after the casting seam, so no biggy...

the shaved one (duh)

s401ce0ff72c02.jpg

s401ce118c0e00.jpg

The not shaved one (double duh)

s401ce15275328.jpg

The back :)

s401ce0b2dbbb1.jpg

The whole thing...

s401ce16d69014.jpg

sweet now clean those poor rims up and repaint the area you ground off

:thumbsup:

Yea the rims are dirty as hell, and have some marking on them from the German customs. Tomorrow I will probably paint the calipers.

Back