1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake conversion/wheel mind fu*k

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by xj0hnx, Jan 30, 2004.

1. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Ok, so today I am putting on my 4x114.3 conversion in the front. Everything mechanically goes "perfect" so to speak, everything came off and bolted on with very little to no problems. The conversion came from a 99 Civic Aerodeck (same as the four lug ITR's (Prelude vtecs and Accords for all practical purposes), and quite a nice upgrade from the civics, as you can see....

[​IMG]

Anyway, once I got it all together, all the rims were mounted except front passenger side. So I go to put it on and start torqueing down the lugnuts, and then I notice that hte caliper is rubbing. I am using four lug ITR rims. So, I flipped out for a minute and then go to trouble shooting. Took drivers side front off, and put it on passenger side and it fits fine, and then viseversa with the passenger side rim on the drivers side, but no dice, still rubbed. So I lay them down down and start looking at the insides. both 15 6 50. Then we notice that between the mounting surface and the insdie of the cast where the lettering is is a different hieght, as seen below...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So me and the guy at the shop figure that there must be a casting difference between the years, as three of them are the same one this one is different, even though they are all four lug ITRs.

So, my questions are, has anyone heard of a difference between they four lug years (96-98?)?

What route should I take to correct this? Washers? Grind down the saddle a couple mm? Spacers(not sure if they make them that small)

Thanks guys.

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

wow, thats crazy shit. only thing i can think of is either sell them to someone else, machine down the other one to match the short one and run spacers with extended lugs, or just buy new rims.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

will it fit on the rear??

4. xj0hnx

None of those are an option, except the spacers, as I go to Iraq in a couple weeks.

5. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

eeek! well good luck to you out there.

6. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

i would say grind down the caliper a little. that's weird tho... is the rim bent? how much clearance do the other rims have?

7. xj0hnx

Yes, but three of them are the same, and unfortunately, that is with smaller mounting clearance. So I am assed out onm one front one

8. E_SolSi

so 3 of them are smaller????

i thought that one was smaller????

im a little lost now

9. xj0hnx

Nope, not bent, just a couple mm different hieght on the mounting surface.

10. xj0hnx

Yes three of them are the shallower ones, so I have the two for the back no problem, but one on the front (bigger caliper) is touching :( And one is fine, exactly how it should be (the deeper one)

11. E_SolSi

i think spacers are going to be your only option at this point .... aside from shaving the calipers

12. xj0hnx

So, what is safer, shaving the caliper saddle a couple mm, or using washers? I am not expecting the find 2mm spacers here, and the car has to comeout of hte shop tomorrow morning.

13. xj0hnx

Come on brainstormertroopers, my car is being held hostage by Hondas insanity....

[​IMG]

So far the best I have is 1mm washer and 1 mm grind, but I ma thinking I could get away with 2mm grind on the saddle.

Ideas, I love them.

14. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Could it be a remanufactured wheel? I remember on someones car (think it was calesta's) he had one remaned SI wheel and it made the clearance between his brakes extremly little on that side.

Sounds dumb, have you tryed putting that wheel on the drivers side vs the passengers? Maybe your problem is there? On honda-tech, they had a DIY on how to fit GSR brakes under HX wheels. I think that your going to have to do the same.

15. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

Well grind a bit off of the cailper, and some off the rim and then coat both with paint of the same color as original. This way you dont take off too much of the rim or too much off the caliper, do half and half of the clearance measurement that you need. It works very well

16. xj0hnx

Are you kidding? I am not about to grind a weak spot into my rims. There is way too much stress on rims to grind part of all the spokes down. The saddle doesn't really see a lot of stress, as it doesn't move, and only holds the pad in place. I can live with some shaved off there.

17. xj0hnx

Well, after visiting four shops in town, and finding not a single set of 2mm spacers without orderimg them, I decided to shave the caliper. I wound up taking only about 1mm off, after the casting seam, so no biggy...

the shaved one (duh)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The not shaved one (double duh)

[​IMG]

The back :)

[​IMG]

The whole thing...

[​IMG]

18. E_SolSi

sweet now clean those poor rims up and repaint the area you ground off

:thumbsup:

19. xj0hnx

Yea the rims are dirty as hell, and have some marking on them from the German customs. Tomorrow I will probably paint the calipers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted