1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Disc and Pad Replace Problem

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by sureshot007, Jul 13, 2005.

1. sureshot007

sureshot007 Member

I am trying to finsih the rear disc swap, but I have run into an issue where I can't compress the caliper piston enough to fit over the new pads/rotors. I am using a C clamp to compress it. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this to work? It needs to compress about1/8" more to work. Thanks.

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

NOOOO STOP.

The rears calipers do not compress with a c-clamp. Chances are you may have even fucked up the caliper. The piston is on a large screw. Do you see how there is like a cross pattern on the piston? Use a pair of needle nose, or stick a screwdriver in a flat, and turn it as if you were tightining a bolt.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

4. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

Wow, I did not know that. I have some rears waiting for me in my garage, and would have probably done the same shit. Thanks sol brothers. :)

5. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

When I couldn't get mine to compress, I just took off the caliper, put a long-ass socket extension in it, and beat the crap out of it with a sledge until it compressed.

Brakes still work fine, too :)

6. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

but does your ebrake still work. You may want to take your caliper off and check to see how your brake pads are wearing. By doing the compression by force, you can cause the piston to not come out straight, causing only part of the pad to make contact.

7. tip

tip Senior Member

boy i am about to buy my rear swap in a couple of days.......good thing i read this.

8. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

ebrake doriftoooooooooooooo still works, y0!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted