Brake problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Well this morning drivin to work like any other day. well I get off the highway
start to slow down no problem, then coast a little as it's a long exit ramp uphill, hit the brakes gain except this time the peddle almost goes to the floor still stopping me but scarey. continue on my normal route keeping at a much slower speed than usual, put the brakes on and the peddle goes much closer to the floor than normal and doesn't feel like it has as much force (the pressure you feel as you apply the brakes).

I took a peek under the hook looked at the resivoir and it's not at the MAX line but just under so I doubt that the problem has to do with low brake fluid.

only things crossing my mind, rear drum brakes (that little thing that actuates the brake is shot and pissing fluid in the drum) , a brake line broke, or the master cylinder is shot, front caliper is fucked up , I guess hell it could be anything.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong ???

you actually used your brakes at autoX and now they are dead :p

but seriously, if you had a leak in the line, your brakes would be out. the pedal would go to the floor, as all the pressure would push it out, and the pedal woudl drop to the floor before the fluid could make enough pressure to slow yo down.

as for the drums, the "little thing that actuates" the brakes is actually a "spring". again, if fluid was leaking out, see above.

if a front caliper was shot, you'd have un-even braking, but the pedal wouldn't go to the floor.

my guess is the master cyl. check the vacuum line on the booster.. see if that is ok (it should be from the sounds of this)

don't quote me on the master though... im no tech... but thats what it sounds like.

before you leave work today, turn the car on and pump the brakes like 5 or 6 times really fast, really hard, and as far down as you can each time. if by the 2nd or 3rd pump the pedal is not getting hard as fuck and stopping up top, it's probably the master cyl.

No b, here is how to test if the master cylinder is bad, when the car is OFF, pump the brakes, if by the 2nd to 3rd time it does not get hard, then it is your mastercylinder. Now turn on the car with you pressing the brake pedal, if it moves down more then an inch-inch and a half, your booster is probally bad.

yeah, I'm betting on the master cylinder.
because the feel of the pedal has been inconsistant for a little while. Not like today
but sometimes it's firmer than other time. and today was just the straw that broke the camels back.

as for the drums, the "little thing that actuates" the brakes is actually a "spring

I thought there was a hydrualic actuator of some type called a "slave cylinder"

Back