Brake Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i'm starting to hear my indicators making some noise and i'll probly replace my brakes soon. I'd like to use some better parts. are hawk pads reasonable for street use w/ stock rotors? and what kid of improvement in stoping will i see?

on the expensive end: i was looking at wilwood big brakes... are they worth it, does anybody have this setup?

the hawk pads are great ..... if they will see track use (autoX or road course) get the HP+ pads.... if its mostly street use get the HPS pads

im running the HP+ and i love them.... great stopping power, little to no fade, but they are noisy and throw a LOT of dust.... ive had them on for 3 autoX events and 3 road course track events, along with 6 months of "spirited driving" and they dont look worn at all :)

the HPS are supposed to have good stopping power, low fade, low noise, low dust,
(i havent used these so i cant give personal experience with them)

I have heard great things about the wilwood brake setup, I am considering it for my own car.

i have heard lots of good shit about the wilwood setup but the pads they use suck ass and dont last for shit

also look at the fastbrakes.com kit it uses wilwood calipers and still fits under 15" rims (not sure if the same pad issue remains)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 4 2003, 11:18 AM

also look at the fastbrakes.com kit it uses wilwood calipers and still fits under 15" rims (not sure if the same pad issue remains)

that sounds even better, i wasn't too sure about wilwood because of needing a 16" wheel. I'll look into the fastbrakes kit for sure. but for now i'm going to try some hawk pads. thanks

can you just buy any old pads (well better ones obviously) for the wilwood setup, or are they a custom design??

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 4 2003, 10:17 AM
can you just buy any old pads (well better ones obviously) for the wilwood setup, or are they a custom design??

most pad companies make them, i know hawk does for sure.
i had the 13" wilwood 4pot kit for my car, and ran hawk hp+ for street and hawk black for road course. the stopping on them is great, i love the pedal feel of the 4pot calipers. if you go with the willwood kit it is fairly cheap, $650, but i did have to run 16" wheels, which i didn't reall mind either :) now on my del sol vtec i'm using stock setup with ferodo pads, they seem to hold up and stop very well on the road course too, not quite as good as the wilwoods, but good enough for me for now.

Originally posted by DTEC@Aug 4 2003, 05:58 PM
are brembo's decent?

yea if you want to spen 2500 for the kit.

There blank rotors are good but the autozone rotors work just as well plus have a lifetime warrantte (fuck them up at the road course, take them back the next day.)

yep, there are a ton of people on hondatech that swears by them. My freind with a Type R has gone through tons of them at track days and loves them. Plus they are cheaper then brembros and have a sweet warrenty (just save your recipet)

Originally posted by ahedau@Aug 4 2003, 10:07 PM
Stupid question...

if the Hawk HP+...

dont look worn at all

but

throw a LOT of dust

then where's the dust coming from? Autozone rotors?

Some dust is more visible then others. EBC brake pads claim to be dust free but mine actually dust alot just the dust is a brown color so from far away, it looks like no dust was produced.

Look at BMW/mini's front wheels. They turn black within a few days after washing them however, my dads pad looked NEW after 10k miles.

Basicly Dust just = more frequent wheel washings.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Aug 4 2003, 11:22 PM-->
@Aug 4 2003, 10:07 PM
Stupid question...

if the Hawk HP+...

dont look worn at all

but

throw a LOT of dust

then where's the dust coming from? Autozone rotors?

Some dust is more visible then others. EBC brake pads claim to be dust free but mine actually dust alot just the dust is a brown color so from far away, it looks like no dust was produced.

Look at BMW/mini's front wheels. They turn black within a few days after washing them however, my dads pad looked NEW after 10k miles.

Basicly Dust just = more frequent wheel washings.

i have black rotas so i'm not really worried about cleaning the wheels, but something with hondas' aerodynamics gets the rear bumper all covered with the brake dust. My 96 hb and integra that I had both gets a thick coat of brake dust after a couple of days worth of driving.

i have a white car, so..."brown" brake dust will be visible too??

no clue where the dust is comming from ... but the pads still look new .... maybe its the rotor :lol: :gives: $40 per rotor isnt too bad
although the autozone rotor idea isnt too bad ... ill see how long my brembo blanks hold up

Back