1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake upgrades

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by eml1618, Mar 30, 2004.

1. eml1618

eml1618 Member

Redoing my front brakes and need some advice on what would be the best set up for street/mild track.

I was thinking getting some Brembo blanks(or even Xdrilled or slotted)/axxis or hawk pads.

Or is there something better (that wouldn't cost me my left nut) that would be better?

Thanks...

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

my vote goes to brembo blanks (no need for slotted or drilled, even on heavy track use) then get yourself some hawk hp+ pads and you're set. personally i use cheap ass $20 autozone blanks and ferodo brake pads (similar to the hawk hp+, hawk doesn't make pads for the del sol vtec :( ) and i use the car for daily driving and hpde's once a month. i used the hawk hp+ on my old car, great pads. other pads to check out are carbotech, ferodo, and cobalt.

3. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

brembo blanks
    hawk HP+ pads
    ATE superblue fluid

:thumbsup:

car isnt quite a daily driver, but sees a lot of street use, and gets tracked about once a month durring the non-winter months :)

5. eml1618

eml1618 Member

I got the Blanks and the HP+'s on with the superblue in the lines...they squeel like a bitch...I did the break in correctly on both...

Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with? Any one else running this set up have squeeling issues?

Note: I've drove them about 400 miles so far (150 on highway) and they still squeel right after light pressure and before hard pressure is applied (like coming to a regular stop at a stop sign or light)...Thanks guys...

Edit: One thing I didn't do is use any kind of brake lube for where the contact points are at the backs of the pads...could this be why they're squeeling?

6. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

yup thats how the HP+ are .... they squeel a lot (its just the way agressive pads are)

the anti-squeel jiz on the back of the pads might help ... dunno

7. eml1618

eml1618 Member

Cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything wrong. Thanks!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted