1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken cam cap studs?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 8secHonda, Apr 11, 2010.

1. 8secHonda

8secHonda New Member

i just reciever my b18b1 head this week and while attempting to take the cam caps off the bolts were ungodly tight.. well a few of the bolts broke off in the head i was using a 1/4 inch drive rachet..

can a machine shop drill and tap these holes or is this a total loss?

thanks for input guys....

2. Magana559

Magana559 The Warden

You can Drill them with a smaller diameter drill bit and use a Easy out to get em.

If your going to re use the bolts Torque them down a lil lighter lilke 4ftlbs less.

3. 78civic

78civic Junior Member

I'd just see if you could:
    1- get a center punch in the center of the bolt that broke.
    2-drill down the remaining length (compared to another non-broke one) stepping the sizes larger until you can get close to the 6mm stem size.
    3-tap it out to clean the threads up.

Now your done and doin the happy dance..

Not really.. I've NEVER got one to drill centered and always take out some threads. Hoping that the repaired hole won't EVER let loose because you tore up the seating surface of the threads..

Take your time, use some lube (NEVER DRILL ANYTHING WITHOUT LUBE) because if you break a drill or worse, and easy-out in there you're screwed. They're harder than the tools to get the first mess-up out.

E

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. 8secHonda

8secHonda New Member

lol aight yeah dont wanna break those in there i thought about drilling it any installing a helicoil in it but not sure they make one that small lol... gonna get up w the local machine shop today n see how the charges loook.... thks 4 replys

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted